Author Topic: hood molding  (Read 1386 times)

Offline cob428

hood molding
« on: October 05, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »
Anyone have any luck trying to locate a replacement hood molding? Everything I have seen is a glue/tape on?
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: hood molding
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:25 PM »
Anyone have any luck trying to locate a replacement hood molding? Everything I have seen is a glue/tape on?
I thought Branda had a nice reproduction with the tabs. FYI The assemblyline hood peak molding with the fold over tabs from the factory many times utilized the thin automotive type double side tape to help hold it tight against the body. Although not done on every car it is a practice that I would highly encourage anyone replacing or restoring a 69/70 car. The only way you can typically get a hint of it in use is because the moulding holds tight against the hood.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:35:26 PM »
It shows on their website for 325.00 .You would have to call to see if in stock or not. They had gotten them back in within the last 6 months but don't know the status now. Prior to that they had been out for several years. Their vendor past away and his tooling got sold or thrown away .Tony had been working with another to make them before he passed away RIP.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cob428

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
thanks Bob, Branda has it I appreciate your help..
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »
 on the hood peak moulding  i had one of the tabs BREAK OFF !    - I have it - what's best way of attaching to the steel reinforcement  - mig  tig ?   70 gt500 june/69
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 12:02:44 AM »
on the hood peak moulding  i had one of the tabs BREAK OFF !    - I have it - what's best way of attaching to the steel reinforcement  - mig  tig ?   70 gt500 june/69
I have not heard of a successful story yet on reattaching the tabs in many years. Hopefully you will be he exception.You do know that many hood peak moldings had a thin double sided tape to supplement the tabs from the factory. A broken tab can be made to appear attached under the hood even though it is not . The double sided tape which is out of sight will hold the molding very effectively.

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »
  thanks for the reply  -  oooh - sounds like cheating to me -LOL   but i did  search out some brands of double sided tape yesterday  LLPT  was tested with high marks - anybody out there with any recommendations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
If you have taken off the hood peak molding to fix the broken tab and if you can fix it properly you may find other tabs break off when you go to reinstall it.  ;) The tabs only bend to install and un install a few times before breaking   A new excellent looking repro hood peak molding is about 300.00 from Branda. Get them while they last . Last time they were gone for about 4 years. While they were unavailable I saw some sell for up to 2K because there were non to be had. I have always used the thin 3M brand tape that had a red paper to identify it under the hood peak molding. I suppose what you do depends on your expectations. Given the time ,effort ,success rate of repair,and how it ends up looking,  the excellent repro (which looks identical when installed) will save time/labor and frustration IMO . At least while they are still available.  :D

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
 I ended up using " no nails" bonding tape -  clamped  in position for overnight -  plus the 5 of six usable tabs -  holding in place  very well-  thinking of driving the ol' girl down to Seattle's Mustangs North West   local MCA show  tomorrow  - judging today but popular choice  Sunday - 120 mile drive   

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 11:21:13 AM »
I ended up using " no nails" bonding tape -  clamped  in position for overnight -  plus the 5 of six usable tabs -  holding in place  very well-  thinking of driving the ol' girl down to Seattle's Mustangs North West   local MCA show  tomorrow  - judging today but popular choice  Sunday - 120 mile drive
Curious if you "cheated a tab" as mentioned before ,fixed the tab or left the hole empty ? Regardless glad to hear that you made it presentable again.