Author Topic: 65 Exhaust Pipe/Muffler Attachment Discussion  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Whiteykr

65 Exhaust Pipe/Muffler Attachment Discussion
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:08:19 AM »
Hello,
The U-5 photo driveshaft. What is the bolt ,washer, and nut behind and to the rear of the driveshaft loop seat belt bolt? I think it is the bolt that holds the exhaust bracket for the tailpipe. Could anyone else verify that for me? If so that would show the exhaust bracket being  high and close to the seat belt reinforcement bracket.Much higher in the tunnel than down on the floor pan.
Thanks
Brad

Admin Note: Here is the thread Brad is referencing

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21077.0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:36:02 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 Exhaust Pipe/Muffler Attachment Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
Hello,
The U-5 photo driveshaft. What is the bolt ,washer, and nut behind and to the rear of the driveshaft loop seat belt bolt? I think it is the bolt that holds the exhaust bracket for the tailpipe. Could anyone else verify that for me? If so that would show the exhaust bracket being  high and close to the seat belt reinforcement bracket.Much higher in the tunnel than down on the floor pan.
Thanks
Brad
That is what you are seeing and yes not the typical location. The location varied some from one car to the next. In this case the bracket has been modified and welded direct to the pipe like in the outer bracket picture so as to eliminate the horseshoe clamp.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:36:11 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Whiteykr

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for reply. Here is what I have seen. An original65 exhaust with the exact bracket as the one used on front spring bolt being used for the muffler tailpipe bracket. All four brackets were the same ,of course  rt. and left.Yes,
I know the bracket on this car has had welding done instead of just clamped like originals. I have one original on  my car. When did the rubber bracket start being used? I think down on bottom of floor pan is way to low. I also don?t think another separate clamp was used for the muffler clamp so you would have 4 clamps. I believe only 2 clamps.
Respectfully
Brad
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:36:18 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 12:37:22 AM »
Bob,
Thanks for reply. Here is what I have seen. An original65 exhaust with the exact bracket as the one used on front spring bolt being used for the muffler tailpipe bracket. All four brackets were the same ,of course  rt. and left.Yes,
I know the bracket on this car has had welding done instead of just clamped like originals. I have one original on  my car. When did the rubber bracket start being used? I think down on bottom of floor pan is way to low. I also don?t think another separate clamp was used for the muffler clamp so you would have 4 clamps. I believe only 2 clamps.
Respectfully
Brad
Yes rubber bushing then the bracket that was the same as the one holding the tip .It was to isolate vibration. The other bracket with the rubber strap was added to the L bracket. Both were used at the same time to make up that inner hanger. Maybe not on all cars but that is the way I have seen it when it was done. Also one clamp on the turn out pipe coming out of the muffler a second clamp at the floor bracket and a third holding the tip to the leaf spring eye bracket.Both L bracket locations  used vibration dampening rubber bushings .  I agree that was not the best location and we can have our opinion after the fact however what with the drips on the original floors surrounding that out of the ordinary hanger point installation apparently that was where they put the inner hangers on that car.  I posted a picture of the 65 Shelby exhaust installation materials photographed by Shelby American. The longer straps can be seen in the picture.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:36:26 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 04:29:57 AM »
Bob,
Respectfully
Brad

Going  to separate this this discussion so that we don't take away for this thread and we'll have a place to discuss the subject further

Have a number of pictures I'll post tomorrow
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:36:34 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)