Author Topic: New Eaton Leaf Springs--How to Strip to Bare Metal?  (Read 9161 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New Eaton Leaf Springs--How to Strip to Bare Metal?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »
Who sells the repro clamps and what were these springs used on in 68 besides CJ's?

Believe AMK - There are two different sizes (width) so measure first
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:03 AM »
eaton wanted to charge me $150 to remove the paint.  ouch.

.  i have a hard time believing the media is going to effect the spring rate.
I would think so too but that is what Eaton claims and why they only recommend shotpeening for blasting. My media guy also does shotpeening and charges me like $25 a set.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
What is shot peening?  And how is it different from glass beading or sandblasting?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »
Drummingrocks, what did it cost you to have the springs de-arched?     Did you have to bring all the leaves, fully assembled?
Greg Z

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
Drummingrocks, what did it cost you to have the springs de-arched?     Did you have to bring all the leaves, fully assembled?

I've got the invoice at the shop.  I'll look tomorrow and let you know.  I did bring them in fully assembled.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »

Can you post some pics of your new Eatton Springs, I would like to see pics of the new springs.

Tony, here you go.  Here's several shots of the new springs, as well as a few of the new springs side by side with the originals.

http://img848.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=misc006.jpg

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
What is shot peening?  And how is it different from glass beading or sandblasting?
Below is a reply from Mike Eaton,

All springs have a finite life, that is one day the will fail. This failure can take more than one form. The most drastic is breaking. But the one we see the most is a gradual loss of hieght. Spring rate is not lost, just their ability to supoort weight which causes them to sag.

All good quality leaf springs are made for SAE 5160 which is a high alloy spring steel. Once formed and heat treated this steel retains it's memory. As the spring gradually sags it's memory also goes lower. If the spring is reset/re-curved while cold it's internal memory will bring it back to the low position. Even if no weight is applied to the spring it will sag back down.

The only way to correctly rearch a leaf spring is by annealing, reforming and then reheat treating it. We have written an on-line article describing how any why it is done, http://eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm.

Due to the high volume of Mustang springs we make we must coat them to prevent rust. And thanks to the EPA we must use a paint which conforms to the rules and regulation. And the butt ugly black it is. Keeping in mind that spring steel begans to soften at 400 degrees F, to remove this one can use just about any method they would like providing the tempurature of the steel does not reach 400 degrees.

Because Ford Motor owns the right to the part number we can not stamp it onto the bottom of the new spring. So many do reuse the old bottom leaf and install it onto their new spring.

While shot peening removes the scale formed in the heat treating process, it's main function is to stress relieve the steel. We like to say that when the spring comes out of heat treat it's molecules are not happy. Shot peening makes for happy moecules and happy molecules result is a long lasting spring.

I hope this helps. Mike Eaton

Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »

The shop charged me $40, which I thought was more than fair.  They must've had some sort of reference, because I sent the springs in asking for the car to sit an inch lower, and they ended up taking an inch and a half out of the ride height, as per the note on the invoice.  Either way, they chose correctly, as the car sits absolutely perfectly now.