Author Topic: Mach 1 roof pillar ornaments location  (Read 628 times)

Offline Rusty

Mach 1 roof pillar ornaments location
« on: February 12, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »
My Mach 1 is being restored and is in metal work now. The original "t-studs" on the roof pillar where the running horse ornaments attached are long gone. I have a set of NOS ornaments and they have two pop rivets included as attaching hardware. I have a few questions.

1 - Does anyone have measurements to install these rivets? OR....

2 - Does anyone have dimensions of the location of the installed ornaments? It's an odd area with no right angles or parallel lines but hopefully someone can measure to some known points.

3 - Has anyone used something other than pop rivets to mount the ornaments?

Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.

Offline jmlay

Re: Mach 1 roof pillar ornaments location
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
Originally studs were used, same used for window trim. Pop rivets or screw in trim studs. If at all possible I would use the welded studs. The will not loosen over time and no chance of water intrusion.

As for the location can?t help with today, no access to the car. In my case after stripping the paint it was very evident where the studs were welded. One thing comes to mind is using an acid etch to help find the location. Similar to how welds are examined or filed off serial numbers are found.
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 11:18:51 PM »
Earlier, sure you already saw it when you did your search, thread on the pin subject but does not include measurement or diagram

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7277.msg41217#msg41217

Did an internet search and found postings on two different sites with tape measurements. Looks trick and can't vouch for the information

PM if you want links to each. In the meantime hopefully a member will have a stripped body they can confirm or measure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 11:29:51 PM »
Yep, I did find a couple of threads discussing it but no measurements listed. I hadn't however seen the one for the link you posted. Good info there for sure.  I'll PM for the other links you mentioned. Thanks
Rusty Maddox

1969 Mach 1, 390
Actual Build Date:  11/1/68
Assembly Plant:  Metuchen, NJ
VIN:  9T02S129xxx

63C    T5     3A     05L      24       6       5
Body  Color  Trim  Date   D.S.O.  Axle  Trans.