Author Topic: 3da teak wood??  (Read 595 times)

Offline aircoffee

3da teak wood??
« on: April 16, 2023, 01:57:12 PM »
Hello to all,
 This is my first post on this forum. :) 
I'm helping my father in law restore his 1969 Mach 1, 9F02M143489, trim code on the tag says 3DA, build sheet says 3D.
From what we have found, the car was scheduled for build on Dec 26, 1968 (26M) and the build sheet refers to Jan 12, 1969 as actual build.  So, being a Dearborn car, if I'm correct in all that I've read hear (great site), teak is the correct wood color for the interior.

Can you please confirm, advise, or any input to finding correct acceptable material to recover the door panels and dash?
I know NPD has the radio bezel and console, but have not ordered them.  I do have a radio bezel from CJ that is walnut and it's definitely not that.  Our best comparison to new is the bottom edge of the passenger dash and under the pony on the door panel.

Has anyone found an aftermarket pvc/vinyl contact paper that would be acceptable?

Thanks in advance. 
Paul

Offline K-HESS

Re: 3da teak wood??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 03:21:58 PM »
3D would have the teakwood color. The 3DA interior would have the darker walnut color. Your car was produced right around the time of the changeover. If you have a Marti report it would also mention Trim Variation on the options list if the car came with the darker walnut.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 3da teak wood??
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 11:10:03 PM »
Don't know anyone that has reproduced the material so you may have to rely on original parts.

If something is available sure someone will be aware of it and share.

Has anyone found an aftermarket pvc/vinyl contact paper that would be acceptable?

No those products will not have the visible grain in the surface. Someone a while back reproduced the later color with a visible wood grain for the console and the radio but haven't had to look for it since that purchase
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)