Author Topic: 69 mach1 carpet insert?  (Read 868 times)

Offline aircoffee

69 mach1 carpet insert?
« on: April 20, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »
09F02M143489, t5, 3DA
The original red carpet has one insert with a toe pad for the driver position.  On stock interiors website, they show the fastback as having the single insert and the mach1 as having all four seat inserts.
Thinking this may have resulted from the factory being behind schedule, but which carpet is correct for restoration?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 mach1 carpet insert?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »
How did you determine the carpet in the picture was an original carpet?
Here are front and rear sections of original carpeting from the back side showing the engineering numbers and other marking from the supplier and how the attached underlayment and reliefs looked

Carpet was often changed early in many cars lives so its not unusual to find really old looking and dirty replacement carpet. Just trying to establish a base to start the discussion off on.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:05:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 09:19:47 PM »
I think the toe pad suggests it is not original carpet.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:43:49 PM »
I think the toe pad suggests it is not original carpet.

Agree that the presence of the toe pad is generally accepted as an indication of a replacement carpet for non- Mach I style carpet in 69. Its interesting how often carpet was replaced somewhat early in many cars lives. And since they get dirty, worn and old looking they appear to match the car.  Have dozen or so examples of this observation

For white and red interior Mach I carpet they typically received standard interior carpet for those two interior types. as discussed in a couple of other older threads on the site
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 09:20:04 AM »
1969 Mach 1 original carpet

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline aircoffee

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 08:11:27 AM »
Looking at the responses. :)  I'll check to see it we can locate the engineering markings. 
The reason we believed this carpet to be original was simply because we found two build sheets under the carpet and nothing "looked" to have been replaced.
The car spent it's life down near Phoenix, until my father-in-law purchased it in the early 90's and brought it up to MN.  Hasn't been out of the garage since 1997.
We are replacing it with a "mach 1" carpet kit. :)

thanks for the help.  :)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 09:03:16 AM »
When buying new carpet you can specify with or without toe pad.  If you don't specify, it will probably have the toe pad.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 02:09:48 PM »
Looking at the responses. :)  I'll check to see it we can locate the engineering markings. 
The reason we believed this carpet to be original was simply because we found two build sheets under the carpet and nothing "looked" to have been replaced.

Not sure where you found them but we often find the buildsheets under the floor underlayment and it would not be unusual for someone to replace the carpet early in the cars life without even touching or removing the underlayment. The underlayment attached to the carpet sections can look different than original underlayment also - a possible tell

When buying new carpet you can specify with or without toe pad.  If you don't specify, it will probably have the toe pad.

+1 If you don't ask you will most likely get a carpet with a toe pad.  Have had to return a few because of that, Even when instructed I didn't want one
Jeff Speegle

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 10:54:11 PM »
I have a 1969 mach1 that is A5-Raven black with 3D red interior. My car also has the toe pad. I bought my car at auction in 2001 from an auto salvage yard that was closing shop. This car was kept hidden and was never used for parts. They had received the car in 1977 without the motor or transmission and when I bought it I could still see 1974 on what was left of the inspection sticker. The drivetrain is missing but otherwise the car is pretty much complete. The car shows 35k on the odometer. Even though the car is in rough shape being outside until I purchase it it still has original paint. To this day I have never touched anything on it. It remains in the condition as I purchased it in 2001.

9T02R120xxx was built on 10/21/68 at Metuchen.

I have also posted here before about a few oddities that I found on the car such as the power wire lead for a hood scoop that was not required on a shaker car and also it has two engine service stickers. One on the drivers tower and a second one on the passengers side firewall.

I don?t see any reason to believe the carpet isn?t original to the car but let?s say someone bought a new carpet from Ford a few years after production wouldn?t the Ford replacement carpet also have an engineering number?

The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 11:07:29 PM »
I have a 1969 mach1 that is A5-Raven black with 3D red interior. My car also has the toe pad. ..........................
9T02R120xxx was built on 10/21/68 at Metuchen.........................

I don?t see any reason to believe the carpet isn?t original to the car but let?s say someone bought a new carpet from Ford a few years after production wouldn't the Ford replacement carpet also have an engineering number?

Maybe we have evidence of a secondary supplier that was only used for a short period of time at one or two plants. Would need multiple examples to see if a pattern supports the possibility.

Currently we have only one possible Oct 21 NJ example and a Dearborn possibly built around end of Dec. I also found a San Jose red interior Mach I with standard carpet but with a toe pad in an unrestored car but can't been certain of its originality and of course have restored cars with them but I believe all can agree what those likely have the toe pad.  The search continues as well as the common expectations :)

Yes replacement carpet from Ford would have carried the same markings since the same supplier would have provided carpet to the line as well as the service departments in the year of production and maybe a couple of years after but that was not the only option nor the cheapest. I have seen cars, supported by copies of receipts with it, where carpet was replaced at 6 months. But no they didn't purchase it from Ford and that was the likely the reason it didn't look like factory. Soft items were the first thing to go as far as being available as service parts. Too many variables, colors and models. 
Jeff Speegle