Author Topic: Power Steering Pump Color Code  (Read 526 times)

Offline Finch

Power Steering Pump Color Code
« on: January 18, 2024, 12:04:47 AM »
I see that there has been much previous discussion regarding this topic but hoping that someone can provide a definitive answer regarding a "concours correct" paint formula code for a 1969 Shelby Mustang Convertible with the Ford Thompson pump? (Not looking for rattle can solutions either.)
The pump that we removed from the motor seemed to be a light metallic blue (see attached image) rather than "teal" but I guess the pump could have been repainted sometime earlier in its life, hence the need to obtain a correct paint formula rather than simply color matching the old pump?
Any assistance would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance from Australia. :)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power Steering Pump Color Code
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 12:30:32 AM »
 Sorry not a simple answer can be given IMO. Since the paint in question was made up in batches by the mfg and those paint batches varied in shade there was more then one " correct correct formula". In fact there are many different possible varieties within that range.  The color of the pump you show a picture of for instance could be in the range although less prevalent for the possible colors and shades seen on survivor cars. It is hard for me to tell for sure from the picture. Depending on how original your car is you may want to document that color as one item in a documentation of restoration binder for the history of your car. It is a prudent practice for anything out of the ordinary to show others why you made certain choices in your restoration. If you do that then paint matching the color would be the best bet. You could also ask for a formula or paint source for one of the more typical seen shades .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Finch

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 12:37:38 AM »
Bob, thanks so much for your valuable input, much appreciated!

Offline Finch

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 12:53:08 AM »
Bob, thanks so much for your valuable input, much appreciated!

Reflecting on your input I thought I'd attach another image with a different exposure that may give a better impression of the color

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:57:18 AM »
You might sand a small spot to see if there is another color underneath.   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:01:10 AM »
Using the search feature I found a ton of threads discussing and showing original examples with the teal color on Ford Thompson pump. Just used the words "teal power steering"  ;)

Not that the year makes much difference here is a thread focusing on 69 examples

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19227.0

Another thread with pictures

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1068.30

And just one more focusing on the color for all later years

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11104.msg66424#msg66424

Lots of help and threads here to help

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Finch

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 01:33:00 AM »
Thanks, much appreciated!