Author Topic: Seat belt warning light  (Read 2326 times)

Offline sparky65

Seat belt warning light
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
I have my original seat belt warning light from my 67.  I was looking at the reproduction ones and I think there are quite a few differences.  Anyone have one of these that could take more pictures?   Id like to know if I could just use the housing with the lens from the new one and reuse my wiring. 

Also some of the pictures Ive seen show seat belts written in white lettering on two lines on the lens.  On mine you can't see the lettering if the light is off and also all the letters are on one line.  Are the pictures online correct or is that just a way to show what displays when the light is on?

Has anyone tried to take one of these apart and re-chrome it?  That's really all I need to do.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: Seat belt warning light
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Here are a couple pics from a 37K Original mile 1967. The lettering is invisible until the light is on also. Notice the different color bracket as well.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
Here are a couple pics from a 37K Original mile 1967. The lettering is invisible until the light is on also. Notice the different color bracket as well.

Just to clarify, these are pictures of your original light?  I was looking for more information on what the repro looks like or if anyone compared them side by side.  Regardless excellent information. 
Looks just like my original except a lot nicer.  Even the wiring color is really sharp on yours.  Did you clean it up or did it just keep really well?
Looking at my bracket I think it may have been a phosphate coating on it.  It definitely doesn't appear to be painted black.
One thing though.  I think the spring is on the wrong side.  I think it should be on the back side of the bracket pressing against the socket.  The chrome housing should be right against the bracket
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Okay, I found the scott drake instructions and right on the top it says this is a sealed unit.  I guess my chances of being able to make it work are slim.
Has anyone had one rechromed or do I just need to keep my eye out for a good used one?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
I pictured an Original Light that I do not think has ever been removed from the car. It is on a Documented 37,000 Original Mile 1967 Mustang with the Deluxe Seat Belt Option.  The whole car is as pristine as the photos you see. Wiring Color fades over time if not taken care of, and if the interior is open to the elements, this was extremely well taken care of. I was comparing bracket color between the original and reproduction. I do not believe the lettering should be white on this. Andrew
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:12:47 PM by MagMustangs »
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs