Author Topic: Lets talk Single Stage Paint  (Read 7678 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Lets talk Single Stage Paint
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
I am going to have my Cobra repainted, however, I am going to use a single stage paint.  in 1979 they did not have clear.

I was looking at this 1970 Boss 302 today on Hemmings Online and they have had it painted with a two-stage, a clear.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/ford/mustang/1367723.html&refer=news

My question is, how many restored cars that show, go this route, the clear coat?  Just curious and how does it affect judging.

Thanks
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Lets talk Single Stage Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
I'm guessing a very high percentage are painted bc/cc, but in concours judging, it is generally accepted as correct (which I don't really agree with.) 

I would highly recommend using a paint system like was originally applied on the car when new.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »

IMHO, today's bc/cc paint jobs are sooo nice it's hard for most people finish up a restoration with a 60's or 70's quality paint job. I have a 84 SVO with original paint and it would get picked apart if I restored the car to original and duplicated the paint.  :o

Of course for that ultimate purist restoration like Charles does,  ;) a correct factory finish would be fitting.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
I have a 84 SVO with original paint and it would get picked apart if I restored the car to original and duplicated the paint.  :o

With knowledgeable judges, I would hope that wouldn't happen!

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

It might happen seeing how bad the paint job was.  Not sure all the judges would believe it.  ;)

Luckily I found  'paint inspection' documentation in the car so that would help.

On second thought, maybe I'll just keep it original and remove all doubt.  ;D
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
There is nothing wrong with using a single stage paint especially if the color is solid as opposed to a metallic color. The durability of modern single stage paint is very good. The problem with the metallic colors is if buffing is required due to dirt, runs, etc.. it tends to cloud the metallic and move them around causing a blotchy look. The original cars did have dirt in the paint and a paint sag occasionally or excessive orange peel in some spots. Look at a original car of that era and you can see all of these issues, however today most cars have exceptional finishes with minimal problems and that has become the standard today and it pours over into the antique car standards as well. I know on the 60's mustangs the bottoms of the rockers seen very little paint, bare metal showing in parts of the undercarriage and engine compartments but most people don't duplicate these items because they just don't look nice. I like to say when my restored car was built everyone at the plant had a really good day and felt good abut their job and took that extra step :D .  CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:46 AM »
I like to say when my restored car was built everyone at the plant had a really good day and felt good abut their job and took that extra step :D .  CHRIS

It had to happen once in awhile so why not on your car!   ;D
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
With knowledgeable judges, I would hope that wouldn't happen!
When I showed my vert last summer most knowledgable judges said is was one of the most historically accurate paint jobs they've ever seen. They also said they could never bring them selves to painting their own car that way  ;D
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
When I showed my vert last summer most knowledgable judges said is was one of the most historically accurate paint jobs they've ever seen. They also said they could never bring them selves to painting their own car that way  ;D

I'd love to see pictures, would you happen to have any handy?  I have no idea what a "historically accurate" paint job looks like; most cars I run across now are simply painted BC/CC, with no thought to correctness or originality.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline KDunne

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
I'd love to see pictures, would you happen to have any handy?  I have no idea what a "historically accurate" paint job looks like; most cars I run across now are simply painted BC/CC, with no thought to correctness or originality.

I had the opportunity to see Tim's car.  I'm not sure that pictures will do it justice.  Amazing paint work.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
Guess it ought to be mentioned that painting single-stage metallic is not the kiss of death when it comes to quality and appearance of the application.  While it would be historically accurate in some cases for there to be slight color mis-matches and metallic mottling, a nice clean paint job with matching panels is certainly possible with single-stage and could easily rival the appearance of a similar bc/cc job.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Guess it ought to be mentioned that painting single-stage metallic is not the kiss of death when it comes to quality and appearance of the application.  While it would be historically accurate in some cases for there to be slight color mis-matches and metallic mottling, a nice clean paint job with matching panels is certainly possible with single-stage and could easily rival the appearance of a similar bc/cc job.
Absolutely true. The white 500 I did about 3 years ago in ss looked amazing and was straight out of the gun, no wet sanding or buffing. My 68 metallic car was a different story. We deliberately painted the fiberglass at a different time/conditions and slight mis match did occur. Most walking by would shake their head and say lousy paint job. First pick is white 500, second is metallic 350. Like Kevin said not sure if camera will do justice

Offline dan green

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
What type and brand of paint did you use on the GT350?  Acrylic enamel?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:19 AM »
PPG Concept urethane. Not cheap

Offline Doug Manley

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
Both of your cars look great. I'm a big fan of PPG paints. People don't realize how much more difficult it is to do a paint job and keep orange peel. Anyone can paint a car and sand out imperfections but you have to be careful if you want orange peel to be even. I'm restoring a white 68 1/2 CJ with single stage DCC  PPG brand paint.Most of my friends think its nuts leaving orange peel.Oh well. To each his own. I think myself that on non metallic colors I'd stay with single stage paint.  Doug