Author Topic: 65 straight six final assembly  (Read 3368 times)

Offline GarlicGreg

65 straight six final assembly
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
I'm at the final assembly stage on my engine and would like you guys to tell me what is not right about my work before I install it. I know the oil filter is not correct.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 straight six final assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Few things:

-Valve cover bolts should be natural
-Should be black over-spray on exhaust manifold, bend the lock tabs over before doing the over-spray
-T-stat housing and bolts are usually block color, what is the brass plug?  Shouldn't be there, looks like the wrong t-stat housing.
-Vacuum and fuel line should be clipped together
-The coil should be mounted at an angle and the engine tag is usually attached to one of the bolts holding the coil bracket to the motor
-Would think the fuel pump would be the crimped style for a '65
-The oil warning light sending unit would be the shorter type, usually olive drab color
-PCV valve is incorrect, should have hex base.  Hose should have a spring clamp on it.
-Believe the dip-stick handle would have been black
-What is that long extension at the front of the block?  There is normally only a short one and the heater hose attaches to it, never seen the big one like that with a 90 degree fitting

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
The Thermo housing is from a later car that needed the PVS (ported vacuum switch) mounted on it. Found a hand full of others that must have been changed out and a few with the PVS attached on ones that had engine changes. Not any of them perfect but in total you'll get the idea

Here are some pictures that illustrate what Charles wrote - hope they help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
I'm at the final assembly stage on my engine and would like you guys to tell me what is not right about my work before I install it. I know the oil filter is not correct.

Thanks,
Greg

That coil bracket looks like the V8 version.  The I-6 coil bracket is more of a horseshoe shape that bolts onto the side of the block using 2 bolts.    Also, here is a photo of my original 200-6 fuel pump for comparison.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:40:15 AM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
The exhaust pipe to block bracket is missing. It mounts under the exhaust manifold on the block and holds the exhaust pipe up using a standard exhaust clamp. Va Classic Mustang has it part # EH-68 pg. 105.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
I noticed that th engine has a double water pump and harmonic balancer pulleys. This indicates that the car is equipped with A/C

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
I noticed that this 6 Cly. engine has double water pump and harmonic balance pulleys. This is an indication that the car has A/C. I think that the  6 Cly. with A/C engines used the longer water neck extension and the 90 degree turn because of the A/C mounting brackets. Please excuse the above post my fingers were to fast.

Offline GarlicGreg

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Working on it today. I went through my box of parts that I ordered last month. Found the water outlet neck and it also has a plug. Ordered from Virginia Classic Mustang for a '65 200 six. So sounds like I need to get a different one? 

Is the water pump also supposed to be block color?

The fuel pump does have the nipple for the clamp style gas inlet. I just put that cap on it so no bugs would crawl into it while it sits on the stand.

On the harmonic balancer pulley, my car has no A/C but does have power steering. My dad bought the car new for my mom in '65. I know the engine was never out of the car until I pulled it two years ago. Asked my dad last night and he says he never had any work done that would have required pulling the balancer. Car had 120K miles. Tune ups, thermostat, water pump, new shocks, brakes & tires, that is pretty much all he ever had done to it. So I'm pretty sure that is the way it came.

I'll post pics tonight of my progress.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Working on it today. I went through my box of parts that I ordered last month. Found the water outlet neck and it also has a plug. Ordered from Virginia Classic Mustang for a '65 200 six. So sounds like I need to get a different one? 

Is the water pump also supposed to be block color?

Yes and yes ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »
If you have power steering then the dual groove pulleys are correct.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior