Author Topic: Engine stripping  (Read 1821 times)

Offline BBs70fastback

Engine stripping
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:13 AM »
What is the best way to strip rattle can paint from an engine that is out of the car but has already been rebuilt?

When my engine came back from a local re-builder, he thought he was helping me by spraying everything with a no-name dark blue rattle can paint.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him he didn’t help me at all.  :( The valve covers, oil pan, and intake manifold are all on the engine and everything was coated.  I had planned to spray the engine with catalyzed paint in ford corporate blue, and have read it would be bad to try to paint over the top of the spray can finish.  (My dad and son-in-law have both said that I should rattle can the correct color over the top of the existing finish because it will be a nightmare getting the paint out of all the cracks.  However, I want the more durable finish if possible).

So, do I just use paint stripper to strip off the unwanted finish?  If stripper is the way to go, will the stripper hurt the head gaskets or anything else?  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Engine stripping
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »
I wouldn't apply any paint stripper.  I just feel you could never get it out of all the nooks and crannies.

I have a wand sprayer that hooks to the air compressor.  It has a suction line to pick up a liquid and atomize it.  I use lacquer thinner in it all the time to do things like you are needing to do.

If I were in your situation, I'd get 5 gal of lacquer thinner and keep spraying the engine and rotating it on the stand.  My guess  is that when you run out of thinner, they'll be a puddle of blue on the floor and the engine will be bare.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
I wouldn't apply any paint stripper.  I just feel you could never get it out of all the nooks and crannies.

I have a wand sprayer that hooks to the air compressor.  It has a suction line to pick up a liquid and atomize it.  I use lacquer thinner in it all the time to do things like you are needing to do.

If I were in your situation, I'd get 5 gal of lacquer thinner and keep spraying the engine and rotating it on the stand.  My guess  is that when you run out of thinner, they'll be a puddle of blue on the floor and the engine will be bare.
I agree with the lacquer bath .I use the spray gun loaded with lacquer also. I would also add that you will need some stiff bristle plastic brushes to help the thicker deposits of paint along. small for the cracks and hard to get to crevices and a little larger for the wider areas. Spray on work with brushes spray off and start again . Where glasses and of course be in a well ventilated area because you can really get a bad high from the fumes besides the explosion /fire issue. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
You will find that fresh rattle can paint will wash off very easy with lacquer thinner. I sometimes will soak a shop towel with thinner and drape it over the part and it will bubble up real quick.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:55 AM »
Awesome tips!  Thanks for the help.  I see a dark blue mess in my future  :P
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior