Author Topic: 68 Front spindle safety wire  (Read 6195 times)

Offline cobra427

68 Front spindle safety wire
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »
Does anyone had a good picture of how the safety wire was done for a 68 Shelby GT500.  I took mine off years ago and I don't really remember how is was routed.

Thanks
Gary

(Mod note - added year to title)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:43:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Currently working on a 68 GT500 #00563  Build date 13 Feb 68 NJ car.

Gary Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front spindle safety wire
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
Not sure if they did the same routing and turns at NJ but here are a couple of pictures from 68

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobra427

Re: 68 Front spindle safety wire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
Jeff;

Thats it, thats what I was looking for.  I'll post some pics of mine when I rewire it so you will have some better pis.  Boy that car needs some work. 

Gary

Gary Ross

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
It lists in the assembly manual the number of twists expected.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
I'm going to be critical here, just saying the Assembly Manual "lists the number of twists" is an incomplete reply - list the number of twists, or say that you don't know. The number of twists (ref: 68 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual AM0025 pg 30) is five minimum, no max is shown. That page also has the factory torque specifications spelled out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
I'm going to be critical here, just saying the Assembly Manual "lists the number of twists" is an incomplete reply - list the number of twists, or say that you don't know. The number of twists (ref: 68 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual AM0025 pg 30) is five minimum, no max is shown. That page also has the factory torque specifications spelled out.
Jim
Jim,what is the reason behind your confrontational attitude ? I make a simple reply and you go after me? I notice rather then fill in the blanks and be done with it like what would be appropriate if your intention was truly honorable you make some confrontation remark about not giving enough information. I think this showcases your ongoing attitude that is less then honorable on this forum and getting worse all the time,like that crazy engine block color series of posts. If you want to continue offering information from your books that are constructive and informitive to the benefit to all fine otherwise Take a pill
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:27:59 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Half an answer is no answer. Go over the limit in a reply because the initial question was made in an honest way. In the interim, I attempted to find the safety wire material and size of the wire but came up empty. Almost all the safety wire I've used is stainless but it's all Fed and Mil spec stuff.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
Half an answer is no answer. Go over the limit in a reply because the initial question was made in an honest way. In the interim, I attempted to find the safety wire material and size of the wire but came up empty. Almost all the safety wire I've used is stainless but it's all Fed and Mil spec stuff.
Jim

Jim, I'm going to be critical here, you failed to mention the correct finish and diameter of the wire. ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
What i did say was I couldn't find any info on material or size ("came up empty") as I don't have a 68 Service Manual and the 68 Chassis Assembly Manual doesn't seem to specify it either. Have you got the info?
Jim

Offline cobra427

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
Thanks Guys for all the info.  My car is a southern car and the wire was in good shape so I reused the original wire, as is everything else,  the only thing I have change is the ball joints.  I'm guessing the wire about .060  This car is being restored as a concours driver, do you guys really count the numbers of twists in the wire? 

Thanks again, I'll have to get an assembly manual

Gary 

Gary Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
Local body shops use a heavy wire to tie/hang doors and other parts during painting (off the cars) - this wire is just regular steel (like original) and appears to be very close to the original size/dia. Can measure the original stuff but surely the surface rust will add to the measurement ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
I have been using tie wire.  You can buy a spool of it at Lowe's or HD in the re-bar section and have a lifetime supply.  It seems to be the right diameter comparing it to the hole size in the bolt head and the original wire I removed, and it rusts up nicely too  :D
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »
Proper installation of safety wire, military version -  ;)
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Jim
Good information to know about a proper way and a eye opening comparison to 60's Ford,however not really relevant to way it was done on the Mustangs from the factory if one was trying to replicate a historical feature. Good info for a driver or race application however.  Another little FYI that is not in any books (yet) is that the wire was used in another location for identification purposes on the 69/70 Shelby's(70 Shelby used 69 unibody) and 69 boss 302/429 . I am not sure if it was continued for 1970 (Special Ed or Bob P. hopefully will chime in to confirm or not) .I was not able to correlate the other wire placement with a purpose until Ed pointed it out some years ago.  It was done at Ford to identify the big suspension that was put into use in April of 69. A few wraps around the upper part of the spindle and then twisted tight for line workers most likely to have extra help in identifying which cars received the corresponding big suspension components or what big suspension spindles went on the right car. I am sorry that I don't have a picture handy but maybe Jeff S. has one in among his pics. If not I will try and post later.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:12:01 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Jim

That will come in handle next time I have to do the safety wire thing on a Half Track :)
Jeff Speegle