Author Topic: Original '65 Dearborn Rocker Blackout Details  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:51:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Original '65 Rocker Blackout Details
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Saw that yesterday on there...Looks pretty original...Wish I had the room
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
Brant-
    Check out the jack in the trunk, appears to have the bearing on the end as your early jack does.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Original '65 Dearborn Rocker Blackout Details
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
Think we've discussed this or at least its come up in other discussions about pinch weld blackout and how it seems that if a car was missed someone was assigned to "fix" it with a brush and a can of black paint that was stationed somewhere along the later part of the line. Have seen a couple of 67-8 bodies this way also. Very unusual IMHO

Interesting lic plate number also wonder if some one has added it recently

Though the double washer on the one visible fender bolt was interesting but then early Dearborn cars aren't my thing ;)

Love those black door hinges and the truck master cylinder but over all I would think it would be great if one could see the car in person

Also it looks like one or two of the jets that applied the floor color/primer sealer might have been plugged. Notice the very straight line of surface rust in line with the front frame rail going back wards

Someone also removed the trailer hitch ;)   guess it wasn't period correct

Interesting trunk mat also
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:00:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »
I found out that California sent out batches of new 63 plates to every DMV in the state in 1963 from AAA thru PPP (that's a guess, the state don't know for sure either) and they did not get used at the same rate, so a plate starting with a "M" for a 64 is not unusual. Plus you can buy (ahem) an appropiate year tag on e-bay and cheat the system (heh heh heh).
Though the double washer on the one visible fender bolt was interesting but then early Dearborn cars aren't my thing ;)
It's not a double washer bolt (although I've got several that are) but a type that has a formed washer as part of the bolt and a separate disc washer similar to the bolts for a 65-66 Fastback fold down seat, see AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners 1966-73 pg 42. AMK says design change but I think it's different suppliers as well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:17 AM »
I found out that California sent out batches of new 63 plates to every DMV in the state in 1963 from AAA thru PPP (that's a guess, the state don't know for sure either) and they did not get used at the same rate, so a plate starting with a "M" for a 64 is not unusual. ........

Ya - double checked my records I see a couple of N's and an M from a car out of Oakdale though I don't know where it was originally sold

It's not a double washer bolt (although I've got several that are) but a type that has a formed washer as part of the bolt and a separate disc washer similar to the bolts for a 65-66 Fastback fold down seat,..........

Guess that is what I was trying to describe - can't see if all the fender bolts are of that style
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
Brant-
    Check out the jack in the trunk, appears to have the bearing on the end as your early jack does.

Greg
Greg,
Yes.  That just may be the correct one for an early car. 

Offline Brant

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

Interesting trunk mat also

My 64 1/2 Coupe was sold new somewhere near LA-License Plate begins with an "O".

Trunk mat is an original Burtex backed "splatter or speckled" pattern.  Here's the one in my June '64 scheduled build Dearborn Coupe:

Offline 64rustang

• Holland Patent, NY
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:04:21 PM »
Greg,
Yes.  That just may be the correct one for an early car.

My research confirms that jack is correct for an early car.  The "stationary" nut is welded on the outside of the "U" shaped bracket, which faces outward.  Only the early jacks are constructed this way.  Later jacks have the "U" shaped bracket facing the center of the jack, with the stationary nut on the inside.  Other later jacks can have round or rectangular blocks in lieu of the stationary nut.  The "driven" nut has the thicker washer, or bearing as it was referred to.  The jack handle looks like it has an open back, which is correct for an early car.  I spent months looking for those very same parts.  On another note, does anyone have any thoughts why the car was registered about a year after it's scheduled build date?  I thought they were selling faster than they could build them.
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRAN
 65A        D        46       27E      22       3        6
VEHICLE WARRANTY NUMBER
5F07U148XXX

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:55:07 AM »
Perhaps the dealer used the car as a demo or loaner; it could have sat on the showroom floor for that long? 
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Wow, lots of white overspray on the bottom. Is that typical?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:42:13 PM by jtfx6552 »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
Wow, lots of white overspray on the bottom. Is that typical?

Not that unusual especially if the painter was a shorter guy. Often during restorations painters today mask off the bottoms and add the overspray (an in turn only applying a minimum amount) after the paint job.

Also the white is a high contract color against that floor color
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »
Consider that a lot of Dearborn cars had black undercarriage primer, so a light color exterior paint will stand out more.  Had one I restored a few years back, had a ton of body color over-spray on the bottom.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »
My car was nearly 100% white underneath with VERY little black visible-only under the farthest to reach areas.  (January '65 Dearborn)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Brant

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Here are some images of an original paint 64 1/2 black out.  This is a June 1964 Dearborn car.

Click here to go to the blog post or picture for several more images.