Author Topic: Exhaust Reinforcement Plates for K-code or GT  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Exhaust Reinforcement Plates for K-code or GT
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 12:34:24 AM »
Bob,
Yes sir.  With your question I now realize my new floor pan must be for an 8” rear end. Note, my floor pan was switched out.  Looks like I need to add this 9” snubber plate in the photo.  SMH.  Now I need to figure out how to take the 8” snubber plate of and replace it with the one in this photo.
The snubber plate is spot welded on . The car must have been very rusty for that transition section to need to be replaced along with the entire floor pan .I can only imagine what else . FYI a concours restoration as you previously mentioned you were having done would typically mean all of the plug welds would need to be disguised as factory spot welds .From the pictures of the metal in red oxide primer this apparently has not been done. On a K code this much metal replacement raises obvious questions. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

Re: Exhaust Reinforcement Plates for K-code or GT
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
Gents,
I am doing a concours-level restoration as much as possible but that doesn’t mean all my welds were made to look factory.  A man has his limits.  In addition, It will be obvious the floor pan was changed out.  There are many other indicators to prove the kar is a legitimate k-code.  Let’s not get hasty about it’s authenticity.  These are things that occur when restorations happen.  These issues will be fixed and I’ll have a much better end product with your continued guidance.  :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:07:46 AM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK