Author Topic: Lucas Fog lights  (Read 2221 times)

Offline ruppstang

Lucas Fog lights
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:17 AM »
I am replacing the Lucas fog light lenses on our 68 High Country Special and have found some that used a window glazing sealent between the lens and reflector and others that used a hardening type of sealent. Any ideas witch is correct?   You Shelby guys gotta know this. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Lucas Fog lights
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
I am replacing the Lucas fog light lenses on our 68 High Country Special and have found some that used a window glazing sealent between the lens and reflector and others that used a hardening type of sealent. Any ideas witch is correct?   You Shelby guys gotta know this. Marty
Marty ,I believe they are one in the same . My own observations indicate to me that the ones you have found that you can easily pry appart haven't been exposed to the same conditions that caused the soft compund to harden .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
+1  Are they original 68 Lucas lamps?
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
Mine were originals and they had the hard sealer. I had some that I got for the reflectors that had the soft glazing putty. I am certain they are not the same. I bought some replacements on eBay and they were beautiful but not close to correct. I'll  post some pictures the first will be the ones that came off the car. The LH one is the replacement and the RH is the one that I restored. No England on the glass or body of the replacement and they have the wrong wire grommet and rivets.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
My observations include some that I have that are soft (newer) some that are hard and some that were /are in between . I had to very slowly coach apart the harder ones while carefully heating the glass and putty so it would soften. I am sure the high heat that these things put out when lighted help to harden the putty. The small grommet style with England marked glass is the assemblyline unit I believe. Just some more input.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:42:45 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »
Correct on small black grommet for all 68 and most if not all 69 (maybe grey was introduced late 69, doing research now)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America