Author Topic: Wiring Routing, '69 Mustang Console  (Read 4947 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Wiring Routing, '69 Mustang Console
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
I've bought a good used original console to replace the long lost original in my '69 Mach.  When I got the car, the original console was long gone along with all of the brackets, wiring, etc.  I'm stuck on how the wiring harness routes underneath the console.  I've got several questions, and I'd appreciate any help I can get on any of this.

1. The OEM console I bought had a single plastic wiring clip (see pic below) on the underside of the console base, but the '69 Electrical Assembly manual (picture below) shows several more of these clips, along with some tape securing the harness. Could my console have only come with this single clip instead of the four shown in the assembly manual? Is this one of those cases where the assembly line manual doesn't exactly mirror what actually went on on the assembly line?

By drummingrocks at 2012-05-28

2.  Am I missing a front bracket on the underside of the console?  There's a very obvious spot where something has been installed at the very front of the base (see picture 2).

3. This is an eBay auction I've found.  Are all of these brackets for a '69 Mustang console?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Center-Console-Bracket-Set-OEM-USED-/261031396152?hash=item3cc6af0338&item=261031396152&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1202

4.  The replacement console I bought has a smooth armrest lid.  My car was built June 5th, 1969, in Metuchen.  Would my original console have had the ribbed or smooth lid originally?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: Wiring Routing, '69 Mustang Console
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
The Wiring Clip shown is Not what I typically find on a Console. I also feel there should only be 2 clips to a 69 Console. 1 Clip to a 70 Console. Just from what I have personally seen

Your Console is indeed missing the front bracket. It is the bracket shown on the Far RH side of the ebay Auction you posted. There were 3 different console bases used during 69-70 production and not a lot of them used the separate metal bracket. Some had a plastic rib molded in that spot. There are only 2 brackets in the ebay auction you posted that are correct for the console. The Far RH bracket I mentioned and then the one that is 2nd from LH, which is a 69 only bracket. 70 Console used a different bracket with the center flange pointed up instead of down. This bracket mounts at Mid-Console just in front of the glove box area.

IMHO, your Car should have the Smooth Console Pad. I have seen some people claim that their car came Original with the Ribbed Pad, but IMHO only Shelby Mustang and Cougar XR7 had the Ribbed Pad. 
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
My SJ build #123247 Nov 19th 69 Mach 1 came with a ribbed console lid when I bought it over 30 years ago.
It had some damage, so I changed it to a flat lid.
I also changed the plastic hinge to a metal one.
Cougars and Mustangs were built on the same line, so it came down to what the worker put on for whatever reason.
My car ended up with Cougar lid but cheap Mustang hinge.
Now it's vice-versa.
I wouldn't put the Cougar spec lid back on it just because the assembly line happened to.
The flat lid is much better.
I don't want my beer rolling off a ribbed lid!

69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline kammertime

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
I have restored dozens of 69-70 consoles. The 69 should have 4 of the plastic clips. 2 of the screws  are are used to secure the front bracket with the clip underneath. There is also another clip that goes back by the lighter. If you need some pictures I can email them to you.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
I have restored dozens of 69-70 consoles. The 69 should have 4 of the plastic clips. 2 of the screws  are are used to secure the front bracket with the clip underneath. There is also another clip that goes back by the lighter. If you need some pictures I can email them to you.

Yes, pictures would be great.  My email is drummingrocks@hotmail.com

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:19:31 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline kammertime

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
I will try to get you some pictures this weekend.

I also have both the brackets if you need them. I don't know if I have any extra clips.

John