Author Topic: 66 Seat belt restoration  (Read 1994 times)

Offline koski19

66 Seat belt restoration
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »
I have a set of stiff and dirty seat belts. How are they cleaned to be flexible again?
Also, I need a front windshield and back glass.. Locate used clean glass or buy new
replacement glass. Of course a sand pitted windshield is of no use unless it can be repaired.
I don't know.

Thanks
Jeff

Offline FunStang65

• Drive and Enjoy!!! Mustang Living
Re: 66 Seat belt restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
I have had good success in the past using a 5 gallon bucket full of warm water and laundry detergent and doing the old fashioned hand-wash treatment. I rub the belt back and forth on itself as we'll as using a stiff brush to break up any surface crud. Depending upon how bad the belts are soiled I may have to replace the water a couple of times. I always rinse in clean warm water and then let them dry in the sun to minimize rusting inside the buckle. Make sure you move the buckle down the belt as well to get that spot that is inside or you will have a dark dirty spot after you are all done. Good luck.
65 Ivy Green K-Code Convertible
04' Gray GT Convertible

Offline koski19

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
I have had good success in the past using a 5 gallon bucket full of warm water and laundry detergent and doing the old fashioned hand-wash treatment. I rub the belt back and forth on itself as we'll as using a stiff brush to break up any surface crud. Depending upon how bad the belts are soiled I may have to replace the water a couple of times. I always rinse in clean warm water and then let them dry in the sun to minimize rusting inside the buckle. Make sure you move the buckle down the belt as well to get that spot that is inside or you will have a dark dirty spot after you are all done. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I got them cleaned today as you suggested. There sure was alot of dirt. I blew dry with air and they now are air drying.
Came out pretty good. Even the tags sewn in on the back side came pretty clean and are readable. The plastic covers are dingy yellow looking, but the dirt is gone. One buckle needs a fresh coat of paint. The retractors work great too. Thanks for the info and help.

Jeff

Offline FunStang65

• Drive and Enjoy!!! Mustang Living
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
Glad I could be of help to you. Sometimes the simplest responses to restoration problems work out the best. Glad you are working on your dream yourself as much as you can.
65 Ivy Green K-Code Convertible
04' Gray GT Convertible