Author Topic: Engine storage  (Read 2043 times)

Offline 6R07K

Engine storage
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
G'day Everyone

I'm safely storing my k code engine in favor of an other for driver use. What should I be doing to safely preserve the engine.

So far a fresh oil change, given it a little run and then plan on putting fresh oil in it again. Tipped the engine and emptied the coolant out. Backed off the valve springs.

What else is recommended?

Cheers

Ben
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Engine storage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
Some over-fill the engine so the rotating assembly is completely in oil.  Otherwise, everything you did is fine, be sure you remove the drain plugs at the bottom sides of the block for the coolant, to get all of it completely out, otherwise you will have rust issues.  Tape up the exhaust ports and intake and wrap it up in plastic.  Turn the crank a few revolutions by hand every 1-2 months. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I did pretty much what Charles explained.  I put my 289 on an engine stand, drained the oil, squirted a bit in each cylinder head, and wrapped the whole thing in a big thick black garbage bag.  Once a month, I rotated the engine 1.25 revolutions (to keep the springs from setting in place more than one month).  After 5 years, the engine was installed, and only one lifter was a bit sticky, but loosened up after 30 seconds or so.  The next couple of weeks, I found the water pump and fuel pump leaking, and had to replace both of those.  For long-term storage, I'd remove and drain them, and wrap each in a plastic bag.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 6R07K

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
I'm not concerned about the water pump because I already have the correct one restored, so it will be as new when the time comes. The fuel pump is a concern as that is valuable, what would be the best way to store this as its only had about 2years use since being restored?
Cheers

Ben

6R07K193XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
I would remove the fuel pump, drain it and let it dry out for a few days.  Should be fine to box it up and store on a shelf.  Most important thing is to get all the fuel out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin