Author Topic: Mecum 65 Black Mustang Convertible  (Read 2049 times)

Offline gjz30075

Mecum 65 Black Mustang Convertible
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
Does anyone know who did the restoration on this car
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=DA0912-136044

Was anyone there to see this car?  It must have been done right for that kind of money.

Greg Z
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:16:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Greg Z

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mecum Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
.......... It must have been done right for that kind of money.

Don't bet on that - the amount spent can sometimes indicate how bad the condition (missing expensive parts or just allot of rust repair) of the car started with - or just how bad the shop stuck it to the owner :( Every year I judge Shelby's who's owners are soaked for $150-200,000 (just for the "restoration" not the car) and the results are terrible. Wrong frame rails, snubbers, replacement panels slapped on with every plug weld (rather than spot welds) visible - on and on.  While in other examples another shop charges as little as $40,000 plus parts and turns out a very nice end product.  Bottom line - the amount spent does not equal the end results IMHO

Just a general statement - don't know this specific car. IF I were to guess I would guess that it was restored on the west coast or by someone that has done an early Shelby - but just a wild guess. Though the license plates (two different ones)  and street signs don't agree with that ;)  Wonder what it sold for - very pretty car

But while we're looking at it - sure looks like someone put the top tank of that San Jose style radiator on backwards. - opps
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:23:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gjz30075

Re: Mecum 65 Black Mustang Convertible
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
Hammer price was $58k.
Thanks Jeff!

Greg Z
Greg Z

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
Hard to tell from the few pictures the overall quality, but it seems to look nice.  A well done concours car can bring good money, it just depends who is looking to buy and what they like.  The '65 GT convertible A code I did back in '05 was sold at Gooding this past January for $90k.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
Place in missouri did that resto on that

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Mecum Mustang
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
Don't bet on that - the amount spent can sometimes indicate how bad the condition (missing expensive parts or just allot of rust repair) of the car started with - or just how bad the shop stuck it to the owner :( Every year I judge Shelby's who's owners are soaked for $150-200,000 (just for the "restoration" not the car) and the results are terrible. Wrong frame rails, snubbers, replacement panels slapped on with every plug weld (rather than spot welds) visible - on and on.  While in other examples another shop charges as little as $40,000 plus parts and turns out a very nice end product.  Bottom line - the amount spent does not equal the end results IMHO

Just a general statement - don't know this specific car. IF I were to guess I would guess that it was restored on the west coast or by someone that has done an early Shelby - but just a wild guess. Though the license plates (two different ones)  and street signs don't agree with that ;)  Wonder what it sold for - very pretty car

But while we're looking at it - sure looks like someone put the top tank of that San Jose style radiator on backwards. - opps
You were half correct. Try suburb of Kansas City shop location  ;) .And yes it was a very rusty car. but the owner wanted to save it . Don't know why he sunk so much money into it just to turn around and sell it. The 80,000.00 resto mentioned was no doubt a legitamate number. The car needed a lot of rust repair but can't think of a better shop for that kind of work. I am surprised it was not more.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby