Author Topic: PPG Paint codes  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Kiwi428

PPG Paint codes
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
I need some advice? Is there anyone who could tell me the PPG paint codes for a1969 Mach 1 Hood Blackout,Rear spoiler and Louvers. My car is back to the painter tomorrow for a final paint and it would be great to give him the paint codes for these areas. Does anyone also know where I can get the dimensions for the Hood blackout and strip, ie from the front and the sides??

Cheers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: PPG Paint codes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »
First welcome - good to see another New Zealander

In any case this was taken and modified from an old Mustang Monthly hope it helps

The PPG code may do you little good since its the old code (no current code is available that I'm aware of) The Paint Library has reformulated a PPG color to produce the same finish I believe but you need to by the product from them #9432 Remember that 68-69 hood black is a different paint that 70-71 hood black.

This original formula goes on like a very dark blue and builds to a black when finished. Makes you question your self if your shooting it - on my orange Boss the hood black out looked purple until I got enough product on

Need to make the picture 7 1/2" wide by 10" to get the right size if your going to use the curve illustrated on it

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:50:12 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:40 AM »
If Jeff, and others, could confirm from the appearance in this picture, I would almost swear this is a VERY CLOSE match of what I remember seeing back in the day, on Mach I's, Cuda's, Challengers, etc.

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
If Jeff, and others, could confirm from the appearance in this picture, I would almost swear this is a VERY CLOSE match of what I remember seeing back in the day, on Mach I's, Cuda's, Challengers, etc.

The challenge is that originally they didn't use all the same paints though today most of the cars are painted with what ever is close since few are hardcore restorations. Some were smooth while others had texture - just depends.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Kiwi428

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
Thanks Guys,
I'll pass on the paint codes but as you said I think the painter who uses PPG will come up with a flat (not textured) paint that is close. I gave him the spoiler and louvers with what looks like the original paint.
 The drawing for the blackout Hood is great so I will make sure I size it correctly and give this to the painter.
I'll send photos once I get the beast home all painted.

Thanks for the help

Offline Bosskraft

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:22:50 AM »
The key, in my opinion, is keeping the paint as thin as possible (like Ford) so that you don't end up with a paint edge. Hard to do with modern paints. The pin line is also done with a paint wheel. I have one, and let me tell you, it's fun learning to do them right, but when you can nail it, it looks AWESOME done with the wheel. I've also got a few templates, taken from vehicles produced at different assembly lines, done in actual size. Happy to email the one required.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA (Mustang Club of America) Gold Card Judge