Author Topic: IVR Test  (Read 2917 times)

Offline koski19

IVR Test
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
Is there any way to test an Internal Voltage Regulator?
I used my auto ranging volt meter and on the Ohm setting it showed OL on the meter
which tells me the IVR needed to be replaced.

Jeff

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: IVR Test
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Probably information in the Ford shop manual that would help with this.  If you don't have a copy, would highly recommend you purchase one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
Depending on what year you have (it's a good idea to include that in any post), you have at least two gages that use the 5 volts the low voltage regulator puts out. There are two main causes for it to fail, the contacts are fused, or the heating coil opened (burnt out). A bench top resistance reading across the two terminals will read zero ohms, which is the normal unpowered state. Take a reading from the female spade connection to the regulator case and you should get a low resistance reading which indicate that the coil is OK. The in-car test requires access to the regulator usually mounted on the back oft he instrument cluster, and with the ignition switch to accessories, you should get a reading of about 5 volts (it may go up to 10) on the input connection lead (black-green stripe) to the fuel gage. Most of the time, if the regulator was thought to be defective, it was replaced.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
If you're asking about the IVR used behind the instrument cluster I posted test procedures on the VMF a few years ago:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/493976-instrument-panel-voltage-reg.html#post3082029
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
If you're asking about the IVR used behind the instrument cluster I posted test procedures on the VMF a few years ago:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/493976-instrument-panel-voltage-reg.html#post3082029
Yup, the old analog voltage meters are a must, as the digital volt-ohm meters react too quickly for the slow IVR voltage changes. 

Another issue that can cause you to think the IVR is bad are crappy connectors to the IVR: the molded connectors themselves...ask me how I know!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline koski19

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Depending on what year you have (it's a good idea to include that in any post), you have at least two gages that use the 5 volts the low voltage regulator puts out. There are two main causes for it to fail, the contacts are fused, or the heating coil opened (burnt out). A bench top resistance reading across the two terminals will read zero ohms, which is the normal unpowered state. Take a reading from the female spade connection to the regulator case and you should get a low resistance reading which indicate that the coil is OK. The in-car test requires access to the regulator usually mounted on the back oft he instrument cluster, and with the ignition switch to accessories, you should get a reading of about 5 volts (it may go up to 10) on the input connection lead (black-green stripe) to the fuel gage. Most of the time, if the regulator was thought to be defective, it was replaced.
Jim

Ooops.....It's a 66 with gauges......Thanks for the info......This will need to wait until the car is back together.........Jeff

Offline koski19

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »

Thanks for the link...It's now in Favorites.........jeff