Author Topic: 1969 upper a arm paint daub ?  (Read 937 times)

Offline SAcobra427

1969 upper a arm paint daub ?
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:36:57 AM »
I am wondering if anyone knows if a 69 Metuchen "Q" code Mach 1 built Jan 10th would have had a paint daub on the upper a-arm in the area on top of the upper ball joint, and if so what color. I saw a picture of a 69 Boss 429 that had an orange (sprayed) paint mark on top of the ball joint and wondered if that was just a Boss 9, Kar Kraft thing or not.

Thanks for any info you might have.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:52:18 PM by SAcobra427 »
68 KR conv.
05 F350 diesel DRW SB
06 Ford GT
15 Porsche 911 turbo S
23  BMW M50
ERA # 833  FE 511ci

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 upper a arm paint daub ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
Would not add one though you will see many "restored" cars with all sorts of things.

Have only found those marks on service replacements and currently believe that is why they started should up on cars

Also if your looking at Boss 9's for paint marks - IMHO that is not a good thing.   Lots and lots of different parts, many more hands on the car and multiple plants they went through
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline SAcobra427

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:24:23 PM »
OK thanks Jeff,  Im not looking at Boss 9 cars  to copy things I see on them, I just came across one the other day & saw the orange on top of the  A arm at the ball joint and did'nt ever remember seeing that on any other cars before, thus the question. Im really only doing a nice driver with this one but when I'm painting or refinish things I would rather do it right ( or very close to it )while I'm at it
Thanks again !
68 KR conv.
05 F350 diesel DRW SB
06 Ford GT
15 Porsche 911 turbo S
23  BMW M50
ERA # 833  FE 511ci

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »
.... Im really only doing a nice driver with this one but when I'm painting or refinish things I would rather do it right ( or very close to it )while I'm at it

Completely agree and support. If you have to refinish a part might as well choose as it was originally unless your modifying the car.

A fairly universal "mark" that appears to be pretty well accepted on all of the classic years is to paint the end of the ball joint thread (where it attaches to the spindle) - upper and lower, before you install them with a bright yellow paint. The nut removes almost all of the paint on the threads once the nut is installed. Leaving the remains and the tip yellow. And you can tell if it was done after the fact ;) most of the time

Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)