Author Topic: Firewall Pads - 69 San Jose  (Read 5590 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Firewall Pads - 69 San Jose
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:28:28 AM »
Hi,

Everyone knows about the ACC Carpet commentary...

But I just saw a 2011 video on ACCMats firewall pads and they appear to be OEM quality and appearance.  Has anyone had experience with them?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/662992-accmats-firewall-insulating-pads.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:45:00 PM by J_Speegle »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Pads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:21 AM »
As mentioned in the clip not going to help the 65-68 San Jose owners. Would have to see it in person to see if the texture (looks shinny and somewhat smooth in the clip)  looks anything like what was used in Dearborn and NJ. Guess we could add slop liek we have in the past for these last two applications if the pad itself is better

Just a comment from a distance at this point
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:22:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Aussiemach

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:54:43 AM »
Do you have a photo of the firewall pad used for '69 at San Jose ? so we can see the texture and try to replicate it.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
Do you have a photo of the firewall pad used for '69 at San Jose ? so we can see the texture and try to replicate it.

Checked and sorry no clear picture currently of the texture of a 69 San Jose car :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »
Hi,

Everyone knows about the ACC Carpet commentary...

But I just saw a 2011 video on ACCMats firewall pads and they appear to be OEM quality and appearance.  Has anyone had experience with them?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/662992-accmats-firewall-insulating-pads.html
Yes they fit like s#!t. The appearance is not close and they cost a lot. Other then that I guess they are OK if you don't have high expectations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
Jim what car is in picture deluxe interior?  Has anybody found a source for the thin plastic lined insulation that glues on bottom of cowl & falls apart like brown stuff laying loose under dash of jims photo.  Is this on all cars as it is on deluxe interior shelbys & bosses & nearly impossible to remove & use over & don't think anybody makes this piece?

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
Ed - this is my '69 Mach 1 San Jose car, so yes, Deluxe.  The garbage bag stuff was (and still is) all there but the filling was just crumbs  :(
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
Jim what car is in picture deluxe interior?  Has anybody found a source for the thin plastic lined insulation that glues on bottom of cowl & falls apart like brown stuff laying loose under dash of jims photo.  Is this on all cars as it is on deluxe interior shelbys & bosses & nearly impossible to remove & use over & don't think anybody makes this piece?

I've just used water heater insulator blanket with the outer film removed then glued a thin black trash bag to the surface
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
Here is a view of the original "trash bag" stuff in my '69 SJ car.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:59:41 PM »
Here is a view of the original "trash bag" stuff in my '69 SJ car.

Thanks for posting that picture should also help with Aussiemach's need/eairler question
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »
Jim can you make a template of black plastic liner as yours looks perfect & most I see in this part of country have fallen apart.  You should look into making them since you got yours out as every car would need one & no repo out there.  Does anybody know if these were used in all mustangs & cougars?

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 07:48:32 AM »
Ed - the pictures are from my dash pad replacement project several years ago.  I didn't even understand what I was looking at when I was messing with this trash bag stuff.  It was mostly still attached, so I shook the loosest stuff out of it, sprayed some 3M trim adhesive along the edges where it was loose and stuck it back up there.

If I had realized what I had, and how unusual it was to still find it there, I might have done something different - like the template you suggested.  Maybe next time it's apart!  ;)
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »
........................  Does anybody know if these were used in all mustangs & cougars?

Don't know - since most (of there originally) are gone in the yards. Guess one more thing to look at/for as cars come apart. Maybe all or maybe just "deluxe" models "   (Machs, Grandes, Deluxe interior ?)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Aussiemach

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 04:52:22 AM »
Thanks for the pictures and information, bit of a challenge to replicate those parts.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969