Author Topic: Newbie needing some insiders' tips  (Read 1718 times)

Offline MustangMan0331

Newbie needing some insiders' tips
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
Hello all,
I finally got my Mustang at 40; it was my BDay gift to myself.  I am brand new at this, and never owned a car that needs restoration like this before.  It is a 1969 Mustang Coupe.  Body is straight (a few body cancer spots, but nothing too out of control), interior is drivable, but it will need to be redone, will need a paint job, and some or all new chrome, has a 302 from another mustang, and an automatic tranny.

Here's my concerns:
1.  I want to make this dependable (and it already is drivable) while I am restoring it so my wife and two kids can ride in it safely.  Any suggestions/hints in this area?
2.  What should I concentrate on first?  Motor? Body work? interior?  In other words, what are the logical steps in restoration of a vehicle like this?
3.  Can you steer me in the right direction for aftermarket parts, etc.?
4.  I live in Castle Rock, just south of Denver, CO., any good places you can recommend to me?  I willing to drive to Denver, or Colorado Springs.  I was looking yesterday at the web site "Classic Mustangs Inc. of CO"  Does anyone know of this place? 
5.  Mustang clubs?  Will they be beneficial for me?

I know these are pretty broad questions, however, like I said I am brand new at this and want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Newbie needing some insiders' tips
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
First of all welcome to the site.

Second thing (stated nicely so we don't run you off;)   this is a site focused on Concours details so most of our replies will lean (sometimes allot) towards that goal. Please understand this from the beginning

I finally got my Mustang at 40; it was my BDay gift to myself.  I am brand new at this, and never owned a car that needs restoration like this before.  It is a 1969 Mustang Coupe.  Body is straight (a few body cancer spots, but nothing too out of control), interior is drivable, but it will need to be redone, will need a paint job, and some or all new chrome, has a 302 from another mustang, and an automatic tranny.

Hopefully the engine and trans are from another 69 or you might be searching for at least ones that are dated correctly for your car.

Here's my concerns:
1.  I want to make this dependable (and it already is drivable) while I am restoring it so my wife and two kids can ride in it safely.  Any suggestions/hints in this area?

The car will never be as safe as a newer car - just accept that from the beginning but that does not mean worry about your families safety IMHO there are allot of people still walking around today that are still here though they road in cars without using seatbelts, air bags, splash shields and such. Bottom line is you have to choose your path and how you want to live life

2.  What should I concentrate on first?  Motor? Body work? interior?  In other words, what are the logical steps in restoration of a vehicle like this?

By restoration - do you mean that you will be returning the car to its original state and condition or are you modifying the car with more modern features, changing colors and such?

If your doing one of the drive/use and restore as you go the path is much different from a complete tear down and rebuild/restore.

IF your going to drive and use now - reliability, suspension and brakes are the top three. There are many sites focused on those sorts of issues that we can steer you too, they will be better suited to those needs IMHO

3.  Can you steer me in the right direction for aftermarket parts, etc.?

Depends on the part and your responses to the items mentioned above. If your looking for the best reproduction mufflers, fenders, interior kits and such many here have plenty of experience to share. If its headers and wheels the sites referred to above would likely be a better place to start.

4.  I live in Castle Rock, just south of Denver, CO., any good places you can recommend to me?  I willing to drive to Denver, or Colorado Springs.  I was looking yesterday at the web site "Classic Mustangs Inc. of CO"  Does anyone know of this place? 

Depends on what you are going to have done as shops often focus on one area or are better at one thing than another. This is where some local experience will come into play. Maybe someone here on this site can help with specific suggestions either in the thread or through PM -

5.  Mustang clubs?  Will they be beneficial for me?

Yes local clubs are a great resource to use especially when choosing shops and services you need close to you. Remember to always get multiple recommendations as often shops are connected to local groups and clubs - NOT always a bad thing - and you might be getting a bias opinion if you limit your contacts. 

Should be able to find allot of local help in the Denver area did a seminar a number of years ago in the area and found them to be a great bunch of people.

Might want to start at the MCA site to see if there are any national regions in your area. Also attend some local shows and start talking to the locals. They will surely have an opinion as to the local clubs and there focus. Need to find one that fits you or you will not remain a member for long.

Looks like Denver has    Front Range Mustang Club that is connected to MCA
http://www.mustang.org/dto_clubs.php

Hope this helps a little - when you get to more specific questions we'll be here for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MustangMan0331

Re: Newbie needing some insiders' tips
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it.