Author Topic: Dupont Nason paint  (Read 4305 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

Dupont Nason paint
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
Has anyone used Dupont Nason base paint for a code D yellow, whats the most popular paint to use .looking for ideas, thanks. chuck

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
Re: Dupont Nason paint
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
 I've used it, and I don't care for it. It's a cheaper line that Dupont offers, mostly for the used car jockeys I think. It doesn't handle as well as their higher lines, and seems to take longer to setup, leading to more dirt, sags, and runs, especially for a hobbyist. Try it on the undercarriage, or floorboards/trunk (interior) to save a few bucks, and make up your own mind.

All said and done, IMO, after all your hard work, the topcoat is no place to save a buck or two. Dupont Centari is still a great choice for a single stage job, or their Chromabase/Chromaclear system for a two stage job.

Charlie.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline jimhib

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
   I've used Centari for both single and clearcoat applications and been very happy with it. If necessary the clearcoat is sandable, also use hardener in the color. As a hobbyist keep track of temperature, humidity, and air pressure when shooting, it will help if matching something later is required.

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
I have used it and am happy with the results
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »
Boy I can speak to this !  (As we just painted a car last weekend with Nason 2K Urethane)

In all of the cars I have had painted;  (Never painted anything myself)
1) I let the painter choose the paint.
2) YOU have to know if you want base coat clear coat or single stage.   

I know many will ask about booth, if you are in CA and are using water base (I wouldn't) etc etc etc.

Today -colors are match via computer codes, digital scales and spectrometers so I would be concerned with paint match.  (Usually the mistake is matching to a wrong chip/sample or your own inability in vision.  (using RGA screen not real chips)

As for the NASON.  We were painting an old Ford Race car - so for body in White (actually 9L Oxford White) is was perfect.  Temps got cold here last couple weeks so we used slower reducer.   (NASON used a 4:1:1 mix for the Catalyzed paints)

Again - this wasn't in a booth but the results were great for what I needed.   Material costs were a 1/4 of my Dupont Cromacolor on my SCJ!  ($250 vs over $1000)  Much of that is hue and quantity.  What I'm getting at is coverage was good with the NASON.

Mark
P.S.  Here are some photos - though they won't be of help of that some remembering the car!  MacToolsSVO "giveaway" car 1984

MacToolsSVO SCCA with Mac Tools "giveaway" car 1984

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:27:56 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline koski19

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »
I wanted to spray the lower cowling on my 66 before I put the top back on. I used Nason rattle can and got two coats. I went to my local paint supply store talked with the counter help and found the right color, took the chip outside in daylight and it looked good and correct. I bought a pint and then they made it up into two rattle cans. Cleaned the lower cowling, masked off and tack ragged. Sprayed the first coat. The paint sprayed different from other rattle cans I've used in the past. This paint sprayed real wet and watery, even holding the can 8 or so inches from the cowling. I could see where a run was forming. After about 10 minutes, I sprayed the balance of the first can for two light coats. Then let it dry. I then took the top cowling and used red primer rattle can to coat the bottom of the top cowling, two coats. I've attached the photos. From what I have been able to read is that when Ford built these mustangs, the bottom cowling was primered and the top was then spot welded into place, then the car was primered. When the base coat was applied the bottom cowling area just got an over spray of the final color. I wanted more color to be seen through the top cowling vents and opted to spray two coats of the Suaterne Gold first before the top was welded into place. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Jeff

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:28 PM »
Has anyone used Dupont Nason base paint for a code D yellow, whats the most popular paint to use .looking for ideas, thanks. chuck

I used it on a Nissan Sentra and the clear started coming off when it was around 6 years after paint. Looked really good for a long time and it stayed in the sun so on a garage weekend cruiser it likely would hold up much longer. I'd spend more money if the car is going to be in the sun often.