Author Topic: Identification of trunk lid torsion rods on California Special  (Read 929 times)

Offline Murf

Identification of trunk lid torsion rods on California Special
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »
The California Special recognition guide by Paul Newitt that I received for Christmas states that the trunk torsion rods were marked with a red and/or yellow paint I.D. to indicate left or right side.  It does not say which was which?  I registered with the Cal Special forum years ago but it continues to shut me out and always says I need to register again or does not recognize my password so I just lurk there but am unable to post this question.  Does the 68 Shelby conv use the same marking and rods or does anyone know which color indicates right or left or have any experience with this paint marking system which was used on the CS torsion rods.  They seem to be different than a standard Mustang with a steel trunk lid but unsure if that is correct.  Thanks.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Identification of trunk lid torsion rods on California Special
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
Think I might have a picture somewhere - I will check. Believe both marks typically will not be seen on a finished car (painted over) if that is what your thinking of reproducing as they were applied before the rods were installed and the car painted. They were not visible on our current Calif Spec with its original paint 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
I agree with you about not being able to be seen since they were in place when the car was painted.  I did not check mine before repaint - never thought about looking at that part.  Did have the red oxide little clip that holds them together.  I was curious about what others may have noticed concerning the paint marks on the rods.  Thanks.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
I ran across the part numbers for the GTCS - Shelby convertible deck lid torsion rods. RH  C8ZZ-6544890-A    LH  C8ZZ - 6544891-A
I bet these would be hard to come by if you needed one.
Marty