Author Topic: 69 Brake Booster ?  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Brian Conway

69 Brake Booster ?
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
     I have always had to much free travel in the brake pedal and figure it has to be a component issue.  I did replace the master cylinder recently and am now thinking the problem may be with the booster and possibly the extensions on that booster.  So for starters I would like opinions on the correctness of this booster ?  Factory 'Power Disc Front Brakes' on a Metuchen 9/19/68 Mach 1. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:38:22 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Brake Booster ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
Looked through my picture collection of 69 NJ cars. Not one of them had that brand of power brake booster :(   

All had the Bendix style (crimped  not banded) and check valve at approx 10 o'clock style
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
Looked through my picture collection of 69 NJ cars. Not one of them had that brand of power brake booster :(   

All had the Bendix style (crimped  not banded) and check valve at approx 10 o'clock style
+1. The large fomoco in a oval metal stamped into the case indicates a typical service replacement part which is not assemblyline on even a true Midland Ross booster equipped car . That could explain a missing Bendix unit  ;) .
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:03:02 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
It looks like a Midland brake booster as found on 1967-68 cars. Not just the unit, but the rear bracket and vacuum location. His car is an early 1969 car, could the factory have been using remaining 1968 parts?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
........................His car is an early 1969 car, could the factory have been using remaining 1968 parts?

Don't know - no examples seen supporting that. I don't see that brand being installed typically at NJ in 68 so it might be a stretch to thing they were "using up" left over stock ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
Do you know if your car came from the factory with power brakes? Dealers installed power brakes on cars at customers request.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:00:53 AM »
It looks like a Midland brake booster as found on 1967-68 cars. Not just the unit, but the rear bracket and vacuum location. His car is an early 1969 car, could the factory have been using remaining 1968 parts?
]I have seen some early Dearborn 69 cars with the Midland Ross booster and it is a early 69 car . I have also seen the same in vintage magazine test article pictures which were no doubt early 69 year examples. Typically a Bendix unit is used in the 69 model year. The unit in the picture is a replacement as indicated by the markings so that calls into question authenticity. Midland Ross and Bendix will cross fit each other and it is the luck of the draw many times when getting a replacement especially at a auto parts store. FYI you get the FOMOCO in the big oval metal stamped (in picture) as rebuilds at auto parts store now too. That service style Midland Ross has been around since the late 60's.  Which adds to the confusion when trying to get to the bottom of if Midland Ross style installed on assemblyline or not. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »
     Well thanks fellas.  That didn't take to long.  Yes, assembly line installed disc brakes.  So the FoMoCo unit pictured is a service replacement and is not correct for this car.  I should be on the look out for a Bendix power brake booster, crimped not banded with the check valve in the 10:00 o'clock position.  Should there be any other markings ?  BENDIX imprinted, part numbers, date codes or sheet metal stamps ?  Should it have it's own mounting bracket/assembly.  As mentioned a direct swap ?  Brian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:20:03 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
A complete unit should be a direct swap using all the same hardware to mount. No spacer or filter needed on the "new" one ;) But keep those since someone will be looking for those in good condition

Sorry don't have one in front of me (all my cars have the version used at other plants) so I can't provide a makers mark or that numbering system. Sure others will have one handy

Here is a picture of the style/type I found - example is a 69 NJ car

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:11:41 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
     First off thank you Jeff for photo reference's and you other fella's for trying to clear this up for me.  I have been doing some checking around and am tripping over the mounting bracket bolt patterns.  The Bendix booster mounts with 5 studs through the fire wall.  None of the mounting studs are visible from the engine compartment side.  The existing unit mounted in the car has the Midland booster bolt pattern. Four studs through the firewall, none are visible from the engine compartment side, and one bolt high and right.   In the photos below that one bolt is visible high and to the right.  So I am leaning toward the Midland-Ross booster as most likely being correct.  If the Bendix is correct what fills the now vacant hole ?Not being real familiar with these units I really appreciate the help.  Opinions ?   Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:28:24 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »
     First off thank you Jeff for photo reference's and you other fella's for trying to clear this up for me.  I have been doing some checking around and am tripping over the mounting bracket bolt patterns.  The Bendix booster mounts with 5 studs through the fire wall.  None of the mounting studs are visible from the engine compartment side.  The existing unit mounted in the car has the Midland booster bolt pattern. Four studs through the firewall, none are visible from the engine compartment side, and one bolt high and right.   In the photos below that one bolt is visible high and to the right.  So I am leaning toward the Midland-Ross booster as most likely being correct.  If the Bendix is correct what fills the now vacant hole ?Not being real familiar with these units I really appreciate the help.  Opinions ?   Thanks,  Brian
Re read reply #6 .

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
.................  If the Bendix is correct what fills the now vacant hole ?Not being real familiar with these units I really appreciate the help.  Opinions ?   

IMHO the hole being there is not a 100% true indicator of the type of style of master cylinder originally installed Drilled allot of holes, removed inset nuts and other things to make things fit in the 70-80's with this car.

Order a booster and one shows up in a box. Different holes, bolts or mounting nuts..... didn't stop me from using it rather than messing around with the parts guys and waiting for another part that was likely not be like the original either :(

If it were mine - I would put back what I'm finding in my research rather than being the guy who will get asked later ."Why does your car have that _____"  where the owner answers "That is the way it was when I bought the car in 1990"  Just an example

Just one opinion
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:02:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
we have a NJ 69 cj car here built early nov 68 with 30.000 miles with midland & just looked at an original Dearborn oct 68built 69 cj car sitting since 1980 & its got midland booster also

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »
     Well thank you specialed for taking a look and posting.  There are several other Midland examples around, Dearborn, but yours is the first from Metuchen.  I took my booster off today and the pedal support bracket has a special provision for that high and right bolt.  So I am beginning to think the type of booster was determined by the pedal support bracket.  Did the 69 Bendix booster have the visible flange ?   Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:53:29 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »
..............  Did the 69 Bendix booster have the visible flange ?   Thanks,  Brian

Here is a shot (took for every to find one) showing that area and the top upper right mounting point on a Bendix from a 69 NJ car

Just for the heck of it here is how they handled that mounting point (firewall to pedal bracket) on a non- power brake car

Interesting that the pedal bracket is painted and in nice condition compared to everything else. Might it be a replacement ? Though it doesn't make any difference likely in this discussion

I've got a related question - Has anyone seen a Bendix booster in a Ford service box?   I've only got NOS Midland boosters in pictures, wondering if Midland got the contract for the service replacements
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:50:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle