Author Topic: rear axle vent tube & rear brake hose bracket hardware  (Read 2489 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

rear axle vent tube & rear brake hose bracket hardware
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
what is the correct hardware or o ring/gasket to seal the rear axle vent nipple and the bolt that holds the rear axle brake line bracket to the left axle tube on a 70 or earlier mustang to prevent gear oil leakage, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:33:33 PM by carlite65 »

Offline roddster

Re: rear axle vent tube & rear brake hose bracket hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »
  There is no O ring used.  Fomoco would have put a sealer on the threads.  If the tube runs through the brake hose mounting plate, no one will see a little silicone sealer there to seal it unless you over do it a little and it mushes out.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
  ...no one will see a little silicone sealer there to seal it unless you over do it a little and it mushes out.
That works too, but personally, I would use a bit of liquid tephlon, inserting the bolt through the hose and carefully applying a thin band around the threads first before tightening in. (to each his own way, I'm sure there are many other ways to do this). I like this over the silicone because it works both with or without the presence of oil contamination.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
Pete M just pulled one of these off a '68 C code convertible (Nov '67 NJ) and there was a thin plastic seal squashed between the brake line bracket and rear housing... yellow in color.  First time we had seen something like that, couldn't say for sure if it is original, but it was the original hose and lines.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
No Sealing oil ring used that I have ever seen original. I have Seen various owner added sealing methods however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
No Sealing oil ring used that I have ever seen original. I have Seen various owner added sealing methods however.
+ 1

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 03:24:47 AM »
Should be locking washer under the vent fitting also.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs