Author Topic: Humps in the floor under the rear seat for park brake cables.  (Read 4466 times)

Offline classicdoug

I'm putting one of the repro full floors in a 65 fastback and noticed the car originally had a hump or "tunnel" on each side near the rear wheel well for the park brake cables to go between the frame rail and floor.  The repro floor doesn't have these.  So I went looking at my other cars.  Out of the 7 65 -66 cars I have, a 65 coupe, 3 65 fastbacks, and one 66 fastback routes the cables this way.  3 66 coupes I have don't have the hump and route the park brake cable under the frame rail.  Any idea if this was an assembly plant thing or why some have it and some don't?

Thanks,
Doug

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Humps in the floor under the rear seat for park brake cables.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
I think I remember the PROS talking about the changeover date for this.   I know my 65 had it, my 66 doesn't.
BC
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
65's had this hump for the cables, 66 didn't.
There may have been a changeover date late
in 65 but have never heard of one, good question.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
My July 65 Dearborn car did not have the hump. It had a 1 pc emergency brake cable like a 66 that ran under the frame.
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
The '65 GT convertible (May 24 scheduled date) I restored about 5 years ago had the humps, but the rear cables did not pass through the frame rail.  Don't know if this was a running change for all cars at that time or something specific to dual exhaust cars.

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/12_3_05/12_3_05%20031.jpg
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:29:44 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
The '65 GT convertible (May 24 scheduled date) I restored about 5 years ago had the humps, but the rear cables did not pass through the frame rail.  Don't know if this was a running change for all cars at that time or something specific to dual exhaust cars.
I can tell you that yours was not dual exhaust specific, because my June 65 Dearborn convertible had the same brake cable set-up with the 4 clips attached to the underside.  It is a c-code car. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »
I can tell you that yours was not dual exhaust specific, because my June 65 Dearborn convertible had the same brake cable set-up with the 4 clips attached to the underside.  It is a c-code car.

Thanks.  I think we had discussed this in the past.  I actually re-plated the original clips on the blue car and put them back on, original screws too!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »
I only remember two clips on the '66 style cables??  Anyway, do we agree they should be zinc?  With zinc plated screws?  I failed to replate mine, and they are currently P&O, but I think they should be zinc.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
My late June '65 San Jose car has the humps and the '65 cables, but they route under the frame rails and are held with the clips-exactly like Charles' picture.  It is a dual exhaust car, but as another poster mentioned, that may not make a difference.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
My late June '65 San Jose car has the humps and the '65 cables, but they route under the frame rails and are held with the clips-exactly like Charles' picture.  It is a dual exhaust car, but as another poster mentioned, that may not make a difference.

Yours has 4 clips?  I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to route the cables through the frame rail with a configuration like that.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »
Yours has 4 clips?  I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to route the cables through the frame rail with a configuration like that.
Charles,

You may have misunderstood my post.  It routes under the frame rail, just like your picture-not through the hump.  It has the four clips in the same locations as shown in your picture.  The whole configuration is exactly like that in your picture.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
Thanks for clarifying!

Offline yelostang

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »
A problem with the one piece cvt floor pan, currently available in e-coat, is the stampings in floor for the brake cable. Have visited 3 tutorials of a 66, 67 and 68 Mustang cvts getting a new floor pan with the incorrect 65. Whether the restorer is aware of this, do not know, but it is a bit strange, seeing it in a 68.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
It looks to me like the "66 style" cables in the picture of Charles' car use 4 loop style clamps.  My 9/65 SJ car has a two screw design at the rear of each cable and a one screw design (but not a "loop") towards the front.  So perhaps there is a 65 style, a late 65 style and a 66 style configuration?

Here is the rear clamp;

and here is the front clamp;

and I believe they should be zinc finish not P&O as shown.  ??
Jim
'66 GT FB