Author Topic: Is there a better HIPO book than Tony Gregory's?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline wunderwerks

Is there a better HIPO book than Tony Gregory's?
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
I'm putting my son's 65 K back together and have found numerous errors in the second edition volume that I have.  With the exception of a few modifications that my son wanted, 98% of the car will be bone stock.  Since it started out as a stripped out tin can sitting on the buffalo grass in Western Kansas, I have to depend on research to get it right and would like to have a better guide than Gregory's.   Does one exist?
64.5 Cpe. Poppy Red 5F07D 23G
64.5 Conv. Bright Cherry Sparkle 5F08F 16F
65 2 + 2 Caspian Blue 5F09K  23K

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Is there a better HIPO book than Tony Gregory's?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:54 PM »
You probably would be best served using a site like this one to search old posts and ask questions that you can't find info on.  I have also found a lot of errors in that book.  I applaud the author for their efforts, but it falls short in a lot of areas and sometimes things like this do more harm than good.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline wunderwerks

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
Charles, thanks for responding.  Why don't you put together a book?  Your answers are usually spot on and whenever I doubted them I could usually verify from other sources that you had nailed it.  The knowledge you have is an incredible resource that really needs to be preserved for future generations.  A well written detail of the K-Code with sharp clear pictures would be the bible for all HIPO owners.  I along with hundreds of others would definitely be buyers.
64.5 Cpe. Poppy Red 5F07D 23G
64.5 Conv. Bright Cherry Sparkle 5F08F 16F
65 2 + 2 Caspian Blue 5F09K  23K

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
I'm not sure, but I would think that Mannel's Mustang and ford Small Block V8 book is another good source of information.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline hopeto

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
I'm not sure what changes have been made, but the copy I have is a fourth edition and I've had it for over 2 years. I'm going to assume your 2nd edition is out of date and "maybe" the errors you're referring to have been corrected. Are you participating on the http://hipomustang.com/ forum? Great group of folks that really know the K Codes! Good luck!
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
From what I understand, either the 3rd or 4th edition was simply a re-make of an older version that the proof was lost in a fire?  I think Marv S. was the one that helped with that.  Might have been some updates, but I don't recall.  The most serious error in the book is where it states that all K codes should have the reinforced rear frame rails for dual exhaust.

Regarding myself writing a book, it would be fun, but I prefer the dynamic of an online discussion where we can bounce info off each other and make corrections as we go.  Once something is in print, it can't be changed.

The Bob Mannel book is very good, I usually refer to it when assembling smallblock motors.

+1 on the hipomustang forum, but it has gone downhill since there was a server crash.  They were never able to upload all the old posts into the new forum.  Left a very sour taste in lots of folks mouths that had contributed immensly to the previous forum.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »
Charles, thanks for responding.  Why don't you put together a book?  Your answers are usually spot on and whenever I doubted them I could usually verify from other sources that you had nailed it.  The knowledge you have is an incredible resource that really needs to be preserved for future generations.  A well written detail of the K-Code with sharp clear pictures would be the bible for all HIPO owners.  I along with hundreds of others would definitely be buyers.

+ a Million!!   Charles.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
+1.  The Bob Mannel book has been an excellent resource, and describes many of the hipo features in regards to the motor.  Accurately as far as I have found.

+1 on the hipo site as well.  I gleaned a lot of info off there, and Fred Ballard (one of the moderators) is an excellent hipo resource, although the site activity has decreased.

As far as books vs forums, each have their place IMO, and the books are invaluable.  Especially for someone who is learning from the ground up.  I have gotten the majority of my info from Bob's, Tony's, and other books.  Then I use the forums to correct errors, keep up to date, and research unknowns.  This forum has been invaluable for that.

The books are better organized for sitting down and learning in bulk, and for use as a reference IMO.  I can't imagine having to ask endless questions or use search to learn everything I have learned.   Some of the book info can be incorrect or get out of date, but the percentage is usually low in my experience.

+1 a new Hipo book would be great.  :)  Even a corrected and expanded one from Tony Gregory.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6