Author Topic: need help can not align my hood  (Read 7807 times)

Offline joe747

need help can not align my hood
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:26 PM »
trying to get my hood on my 70 mach 1 to line up  with the front of my headlite buckets . when i get one side good the other side goes out of wack

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: need help can not align my hood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:25:24 PM »
Sounds like your fenders need adjusting.  Set the hood with a perfect gap to the cowl.  Then figure out which way your fenders need to go.

If there has been sheet metal work to the inner fenders or the fenders/hood are not original or OEM parts... going to have a tough time getting everything to fit.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
I need a little more information to help you, are you referring to the gaps between the fender and hood, the depth of the hood in relation to the headlight buckets or the length of the hood in reference to the headlight buckets?. One tip I always do when aligning a hood or decklid is remove the latch as this can throw the panel from side to side or too deep/high, once you get the panel fitted the way you want it, install the latch and make the latch fit the panel and not vise versa. 
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline joe747

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
two problems i have .hood is higher on the drivers side where it meets up with the fender bucket and it does not line up with the bucket .if i move the fender back or forth i will have a big gap at the door or the door will bind if i get to close . i did replace all the aprons do i have to make some holes bigger

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I should have asked you if you are using all original panels or aftermarket and if your car is painted or not as that is a factor I will discuss later. You said that you replaced the aprons on the car, I would first do a cross measurement from one point at the end of the apron (a hole or point with the fenders off to another point to the rear apron by the hood hinge, this is a X measurement and will tell you if your inner structure is square. If you unibody upper structure measures out OK then install your hood [if you have taken it off )and the cowl panel. fit the hood to the cowl panel as even as possible from side to side and also the depth of the hood (high or low) If your depth is not right it is adjusted by the hinge bolts on the apron, I would get this first and can be tricky but with some patience there is a lot of adjustment there. once you get the height close you can lightly tighten the two front bolts and leave the rear one lose and rock the hinge back or forth and it will change the height. Once the Height is good to the cowl panel adjust the gap between the panels as even as possible, this adjustment is at the hinge to hood bolts. When your satisfied with that fit, install one of the fenders and I am assuming your doors fit and shut good at this point, fit the fender to the door by installing all the fender bolts lose. Fit the fender as best you can loose. I would try to get your door to fender gap where you want if first and also pay attention to the body lines making sure they line up. Again there is a lot of adjustment on the fenders, especially at the fender to hood line. At the headlight buckets if the hood is still too far forward and everything else looks good, you do have some minor adjustment at the cowl panel in order to open up the gap at the hood so you can move the hood back but it's not much. The height of the hood can be adjusted using the hood stop that are adjustable (mounted on radiator support)and will bring the hood up or down a little. I can say for sure from owning 4 of these models the hood fit at the headlight buckets was seldom perfect and I have had to gently bend some hoods to get the fit I wanted (preferably before paint). I know this can be confusing and frustrating, but take your time and you should be fine. Good luck and I hope you find this helpful.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline joe747

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »
when i close the hood i have to push down the hood by hand to make it flush with the fender

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
front or rear of the fender? If its at the rear, you need to lower the hinges where they attach to the inner fender by 1/8" to maybe 1/4".
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline joe747

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »
it is all the way down . do i make the holes bigger

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:56 AM »
it is all the way down . do i make the holes bigger
Not sure which holes you are referring to? When you shut the hood normally, does the rear of the hood sit flush with the cowl panel or is the rear of the hood slightly higher?
If it only sits flush at the rear after you press down on the back corners of the hood, then the hinges are badly worn out.
Rick
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
When you shut the hood normally, does the rear of the hood sit flush with the cowl panel or is the rear of the hood slightly higher?
If it only sits flush at the rear after you press down on the back corners of the hood, then the hinges are badly worn out.
Rick
+1 on the hinges being the problem.  The geometry of the hinge is designed to pull the hood into the CORRECT position when it is lowered.  It's geometry controls the final location of the hood in both the fore/aft direction, and in the vertical direction.  If all the pivot points of the hinge have "slop,"  that slop "gangs up" and the location of the hood after closing is inconsistent and it can me moved around by hand, (I.E. pushing down).
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline joe747

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
i purchase new hinges so it can not be that . i also try to push back the hinges to get it to sit flush but it will not back or down anymore . so should i make thwe hole bigger
thanks

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:19 AM »
Elongating the holes to lower the hinges seems logical however, before you do that, compare the new hinge to the original. Are the holes/slots the same length? Is the hinge physically the same in all dimensions?  If you are able to get the hood level with the fenders and cowl panel when you push down on the back of the hood you might need to 'tilt' the hinges - i.e., raise the  front and lower the back or vice versa. Hope this makes sense.
Also, how does the hood sit when the springs are removed? If it sits flush without having to push it down with your hand then your new hinges are also a) worn out or b) poor quality with too much slop at the pivot points.
Rick
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:48:55 AM »
I reread your post and you did state you replaced the inner fenders. Yes, you probably need to make the holes in the hinges longer to account for the mismatch in hole location in the new inner fenders.
Rick
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline joe747

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
ok will give it a shot
thanks