Author Topic: 68 S-Code 390--Correct Engine Paint/Color/Product?  (Read 5339 times)

Offline E35Pilot

68 S-Code 390--Correct Engine Paint/Color/Product?
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »
As a first time poster, I expect someone will point me to other (older) postings answering this question...if so, fine.  However, know that I did make a 30min effort to search and locate the answer but, it appears it was too elusive for me to find. 
I have a 1968 S-Code from San Jose built in November '67.  The engine is out of the car being rebuilt so I now have time to detail the engine compartment and prepare for painting the block and other accessories. My impression is that the engine has never been previously removed and the engine color on the block was original.  I have read quite a few postings on other sites that recommend a number of different products that claim to be the correct blue for a '68 big block. However, the color on my block is definitely lighter then the darker Ford "corporate" blue that tends to be recommended most often. 
So, regardless of what's on my engine (original or not) what color (product name/code/number) is most often accepted as original?  I'd rather work with a spray can product but could also use a premixed paint that could be brushed-on or sprayed as a last resort...I just don't have a lot of experience in a spray booth. 
So there it is....what product will provide the best "mustang-aficionado-accepted" color/finish for a '68 S-Code engine block? 
Thanks for your help!

Lee

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:03:29 AM by E35Pilot »
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
Re: 68 S-Code 390--Correct Engine Paint/Color/Product?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
Welcome to the site!
 I've been using PlastiKote 224 Ford Blue, with excellent results. Years ago I bought about 6 brands that looked close, (some are WAY off, Corporate Blue especially),and painted a card with the different brands. 224 was my choice. I usually have to order it online lately, most of the new chain stores don't seem to carry it anymore. (Ford quit using it in the 70's)
 Would be interesting to see if there is something better that has come along. Anybody?
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Can you explain your user ID?
I've been using PlastiKote 224 Ford Blue, with excellent results.
I use it too, in fact last Thursday doing a bit of touch-up on my water outlet. For information, from 1966 on, Ford used the same color paint on their engines, Ford Corporate Blue. Up to and including 1965 it's a whole different story.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
For information, from 1966 on, Ford used the same color paint on their engines, Ford Corporate Blue.

+1 The weird thing is that often, most paints advertised as "Ford Corporate Blue" are quite a few shades off. The PlastiKote is much closer IMHO., as you have also found.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
GT500KR, thanks for the pics, the blue looks good on the block and the other pictures help me to find the correct product.  It does look darker then what's now on the engine though.  Did you use a primer?

JWC66K, while my passion hobby is most definitely automobiles (Mustangs, of course), I also own a 1954 Beechcraft E35 V-tail airplane.  Fun to fly but hits the pocketbook pretty hard.  The 68 S-Code, while not particularly cheep to restore/drive, is far more affordable and just as much fun ( most of the time!)

Unless any additional poster's wisdom sways my decision, it seems PlastiKote may be the solution.
Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
If you have to use rattle cans then Plastic-Kote will work - have used it for 30 years or so. Kind of like Duplicolor for big blocks - find it a little bit closer for those engines compared to small blocks (different assembly  plant)

Most recent engine (for me ) I choose PPG with hardener and some flattener shot from a gun
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
Most recent engine (for me ) I choose PPG with hardener and some flattener shot from a gun

Jeff, what is the PPG number that you like?

E35, I hav used epoxy primer in the past on the sheet metal parts, and it seems t work well. On the cast iron parts seems to work good with or without.

Charlie
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »
GT500KR, thanks for the pics, the blue looks good on the block and the other pictures help me to find the correct product.  It does look darker then what's now on the engine though.  Did you use a primer?

JWC66K, while my passion hobby is most definitely automobiles (Mustangs, of course), I also own a 1954 Beechcraft E35 V-tail airplane.  Fun to fly but hits the pocketbook pretty hard.  The 68 S-Code, while not particularly cheep to restore/drive, is far more affordable and just as much fun ( most of the time!)

Unless any additional poster's wisdom sways my decision, it seems PlastiKote may be the solution.
Thanks.
As others have described the shade is a darker shade typically. Others in the past with nothing else to go by have mistakenly used the much lighter Ford blue (including some machine shops)that used on the six cyl cars and it is obviously much lighter. It was just Ford blue regardless of light or dark for many who were not that concerned.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »
Thanks all, I really appreciate all your expert advice.  Keep up the great support!
Lee