Author Topic: 1973 Convertible trunk interior dark paint over the car color  (Read 1374 times)

Offline gtcs1

1973 Convertible trunk interior dark paint over the car color
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
Hi, I just acquired a 1973 Convertible, Dearborn built, with 27K miles. Looks all original and is in perfect condition.

Got a question for the finish in the trunk. I am wondering if the black sparkled paint oversprayed over the body color is factory. Even oversprayed over side marker housing and a bit over tailamp housing. Hopes it wasn't done afterwards...

Thanks for your advice. May be someone can share similar picture.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1973 Convertible trunk interior dark paint over the car color
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
Yes very typical  and as you found shot/applied much later in the assembly process than most of the other paint related processes. The paint is called Zonotone (s?) and comes in different "colors"  (different color of flakes) and was popular on production cars in the 70's like Ford and GM products.

Finding examples of 73's has always been a but easier since there are allot (when compared to other years) of 73's out there ;)

This one is interesting since it appears that they had a mask over the hole at one point for some spray application But only one I've found this factory and this year like this

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:52:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
Thanks Jeff,  very glad to see this. You made my day!!!

This car I just acquired is all original, with low miles, and I was very concerned a PO may have sprayed this to achieve a special finish, and as such would have lost the factory finish.

It's good to see your photos also, looks pretty like mine. In your last photo you say they masked, do you refer to the light bulb housing? I'm not sure exactly where you refer too, so I could look on mine too.

It is hard to understand why they haven't done that spray job before the equipments were installed? What was the benefit to do it after?

Thanks again for sharing. I learn every day on Mustang on this site and thanks to guys like you also,

Pierre. gtcs1
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:54:35 AM by gtcs1 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »

It's good to see your photos also, looks pretty like mine. In your last photo you say they masked, do you refer to the light bulb housing? I'm not sure exactly where you refer too, so I could look on mine too.

If you look around (on the quarter panel surface) that marker light you will see a rectangular shape/shadow suggesting (as was done on 69 & 70 Dearborn Boss 302s) that a piece of masking tape was placed over the hole to keep paint in or out at some point.  Can't explain why at this point or if there are others. If this is a single incident might be the evidence that the quarter may have been reshot (just a guess) at the factory

It is hard to understand why they haven't done that spray job before the equipments were installed? What was the benefit to do it after?

Who knows. Someone may have wanted everything to be  "blacked out" maybe the choose another section of the plant to apply it due to the differences in the product. This stuff is pretty delicate (well at least the stuff we've used since the 80's is) until it sets up and many today clear coat it to give it a longer life
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »
I have photo of a 180 mile 73 vert that matchs yours as well.  I went the same route when refinishing my trunk interior.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)