Author Topic: 69 Side Scoop Question  (Read 12291 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 69 Side Scoop Question
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »

Sorry I don't have a close up of the back side to share

Why is that one missing all the mounting hardware, holes for screws, brackets for the rear clips?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
Why is that one missing all the mounting hardware, holes for screws, brackets for the rear clips?

Would guess (not my part) that the picture shows a service replacement (NOS) part rather than one that was taken from a car and already mounted at one point
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
That part looks like some of the left over 69 fiberglass that came out of AO Smith. There are many examples of unfinished parts that have gotten out into the public domain from that sell off when operations shut down. Hood innerstructures, partial half's of end caps, fenders with out metal bolt on strip bonded on just to name a few. I have had numerous of these incomplete pieces over the years Jim Cowles at Shelby parts still has various parts from the buy he made decades ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
These are the scoops that were on the car when I first found it around 1975. It had been sitting a while as the heads were off the engine and the 4 Polyglass tires were flat. The passenger side rear mount bracket of the scoop was broken in an accident prior to me finding the car. Passenger lower quarter patch was done and someone put screws through the rear of scoop and into the quarter in the same manner as the front of the scoop.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
The back side does not look like a factory part.Others may think differently. The good news is that as long as it looks like a factory part on the front side that you can see ,the backside that you can't see when mounted is irrelevant .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »
Sometime, either when Hertz still had it, or after till around the early 1970's, the car was in 3 accidents as replaced panels had been damaged and re-repaired. The PO did tell me it was in one accident when he owned it. It seems at one time someone painted the back of the scoops the car color. You can see where I have sanded away the rough surface that it is smooth white underneath.

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
GT350H, The scoops you have shown have the exact same mounting style as mine (june 12 build 70GT350 FB).

Offline specialed

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
I don't recall ever seeing a s9ms eng # on the  factory side scoops like most of the other unique Shelby parts.

Offline Dougxbr

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 12:54:22 AM »
Hi,

Found this old thread with the only pics I can find of the interior side of the 69 Shelby side scoop.  I took my interior panel off today and found this (see 2 pics).

A) the interior duct box seems different than the thread pic (besides the obvious dent)
B) the duct hose has some riveted cardboard-like piece to the wheel well
C) the hose is twisted and split in several places

I have a replacement hose from Branda without the cardboard-like piece.

Can I replace the hose from the inside without having to remove the outside scoop?
Is the original thread photo of the duct box like the original duct box or is mine more like the original?  I have found plenty of evidence of replacements elsewhere from the PO.

I'm having trouble finding much in the documentation for this, ie MPC, assembly drawings, or the like.

thanks, Doug
69 Shelby GT350 #0170 Fastback 4spd Non-AC Dearborn Built 20Dec1968
07 Shelby GT500 #4022 Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 01:19:27 AM »
Hi,

Found this old thread with the only pics I can find of the interior side of the 69 Shelby side scoop.  I took my interior panel off today and found this (see 2 pics).

A) the interior duct box seems different than the thread pic (besides the obvious dent)
B) the duct hose has some riveted cardboard-like piece to the wheel well
C) the hose is twisted and split in several places

I have a replacement hose from Branda without the cardboard-like piece.

Can I replace the hose from the inside without having to remove the outside scoop?
Is the original thread photo of the duct box like the original duct box or is mine more like the original?  I have found plenty of evidence of replacements elsewhere from the PO.

I'm having trouble finding much in the documentation for this, ie MPC, assembly drawings, or the like.

thanks, Doug
Doug, the square piece on the wheel house is something that is not typical and most likely added to hold rubber tube in place because of damage to tube or hole in wheel house too big.  You should be able to change out without taking the outside scoop off. FYI the side scoop tube setup is only so that the side scoop can be claimed as functional in advertising. The 68 model was criticized because the scoops were not functional.  Common sense will tell anyone looking at the set up that the air travelling through the tiny rubber tube and what little air that pass's through does so on to the tire tread which makes it useless for cooling of the brakes as is claimed. With that said whether it works or does not work makes little difference but you do want it weather tight so that there is not water leakage.

Offline Dougxbr

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
Thanks Bob. Looking at tire side of the wheel house more closely, your explanation makes sense. The hole does look enlarged beyond the normal screw holes when compared to the passenger side.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
Thanks Bob. Looking at tire side of the wheel house more closely, your explanation makes sense. The hole does look enlarged beyond the normal screw holes when compared to the passenger side.
AO Smith the sub contractor that cut the hole only used one size. A possible explanation is the wheel house was replaced and the wrong size hole saw used during repair.

Offline Dougxbr

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
Bob,

I think it's more of a prior rust problem. Now that I know what I'm looking for on the tire side, I can see an irregular shaped hole, the rivets, and the sheet metal. I'm going to drill out the rivets and see how bad it is - and who knows, I may be replacing part of a wheel house myself.

I took the inner duct boxes out and detached the hoses. That end all looks good.

Doug

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 02:14:12 AM »
Bob,

I think it's more of a prior rust problem. Now that I know what I'm looking for on the tire side, I can see an irregular shaped hole, the rivets, and the sheet metal. I'm going to drill out the rivets and see how bad it is - and who knows, I may be replacing part of a wheel house myself.

I took the inner duct boxes out and detached the hoses. That end all looks good.

Doug
I hope that is the case and not the entire wheelhouse. Given the sound deadener in the area any repair you may have to do can be disguised on the wheel well side .

Offline AJ

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 10:09:54 PM »
Here are a few relevant photos taken during disassemble of mine (late Feb build)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:44:04 AM by AJ »
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red