Author Topic: 67 289 Mustang engine remanufactured by Ford (?)  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Deuce

67 289 Mustang engine remanufactured by Ford (?)
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
Just joined the site and have been warmly welcomed, thanks again. 

Our 67 C-code coupe is a high mileage car (500K+ miles) and the engine was replaced at 250K miles, in about 1980.  When my father/original owner had the worn out engine pulled and replaced (cause: flat camshaft) he mentioned to me that the new engine was a Ford factory remanufactured unit.   I gave him grief at the time, saying that it would have been better to have the original block rebuilt to preserve the correct match with the car.  Oh well, the second engine is still going strong at 268K miles and after many years of storage.

My question: did Ford remanufacture small block engines back then?  The installed engine looks exactly right; correct fasteners and peripherals, Ford blue paint, a stamped ID tag (could be the original, but it's now painted blue).  I need to get the car in the air, pull the starter and check casting and date codes.  However and until then, still questioning whether Ford sold factory remanufactured engines in the 1970s-1980s?  By the way, after the flattened camshaft episode with original motor, the car has always used Valvoline Racing Oil; can't argue with the results.

Thanks,   

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:31:09 PM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline tobkob

Re: 67 289 Mustang engine remanufactured by Ford (?)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
Deuce, When I worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealer in the early 70's we used Fred Jones rebuilt engines and transmissions as well as other parts. They were a Ford authorized rebuilder. I don't recall ever seeing a Ford remanufactured engine. I could be wrong but I'll bet someone here knows for sure. (My memory fails me sometimes!)
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »
Not sure when Ford started selling rebuilt engines directly to the public or using them in warranty work. Got a number of warranty binders full of information (real dry reading) but don't spend allot of time reading those.

If you do get it in the air check for a tag as a "factory" (sub contracted out) rebuild would have identification on it for warranty identification.

Here is an example from the same sub contractor tobkob mentioned

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:30 PM »
Not sure when Ford started selling rebuilt engines directly to the public or using them in warranty work. Got a number of warranty binders full of information (real dry reading) but don't spend allot of time reading those.

If you do get it in the air check for a tag as a "factory" (sub contracted out) rebuild would have identification on it for warranty identification.

Here is an example from the same sub contractor tobkob mentioned

Fred Jones rebuilders were huge in my area. They rebuilt all kinds of things engines, fuel pumps ,power steering pumps ,carbs ,dist-you name it. I had my Ford parts man send them waterpump to rebuild  because he could give them special instructions to rebuild my original core and they would. I sure miss them. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
This is great info regarding Ford-authorized remanufacturers! 

I'll have access to a lift later this month and will pull the starter to check block casting number, date code and search for a similar warranty tag.

Odd story:  I changed the plugs over this long weekend, first time in at least 20 years (car has been mostly in storage since 1995).  The old plugs were  a mix of Motorcraft BSF42C and BSF42; four of each.  I have no explanation, other than perhaps the shop was using up old stock.  There's a difference between the two plugs:  on the -42C the center electrode and ceramic surround extends farther out past the threads, by approx 1/8".  New Autolite 45 plugs were gapped and installed.  The electrode on the Autolite 45 is the same distance as the BSF42C.

Thanks again, 
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline Deuce

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

Returning to a four-year old thread to add some information about Ford Remanufactured Engines.   Went through some old service files for my '67 C-code and found the Ford Warranty certificate:

The Ford remanufactured 289 long block was installed in June 1983 when the car had 293,450 miles.   The long block has its own part number, according to the warranty card and service invoice:  C5OZ-6012-DTE1.  Engine production number:  G18712.  Btw from the service invoice in the file, the price for a Ford reman 289 long block in 1983 was $1,035.

Thought this can be useful information for some members.

Deuce

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »
Neat - thanks for sharing
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660