Author Topic: C4 transmission tailshaft rear seal?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Morsel

C4 transmission tailshaft rear seal?
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
Hey all, I have to put in another new tailshaft real seal because the one I installed leaked (think it was just a crappy part). Anyway, was wondering about the install position, I assumed that the little hole in the dust boot would be facing the ground to drain any fluid if it did leak a little, but then thought maybe it’s just an air hole to allow for flex and anti distortion, maybe it’s supposed to face up towards the undercarriage... it probably really doesn’t matter too much but thought I would ask I since I’m installing a new one, might as well get it done correctly?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: C4 transmission tailshaft rear seal?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
Hey all, I have to put in another new tailshaft real seal because the one I installed leaked (think it was just a crappy part). Anyway, was wondering about the install position, I assumed that the little hole in the dust boot would be facing the ground to drain any fluid if it did leak a little, but then thought maybe it’s just an air hole to allow for flex and anti distortion, maybe it’s supposed to face up towards the undercarriage... it probably really doesn’t matter too much but thought I would ask I since I’m installing a new one, might as well get it done correctly?

Thanks,

Jason
I assume you did your research and are using the cone shaped version similar to assemblyline. I have always tried to orient the hole down for drainage reasons. I don't think it is critical regardless.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
I assume you did your research and are using the cone shaped version similar to assemblyline. I have always tried to orient the hole down for drainage reasons. I don't think it is critical regardless.

Yes, using the correct cone one, and that's pretty much what I thought and installed it with the hole down the first time... as I said, just think the one I got the first time was a cheap garbage part, so hopefully the leak will be fixed with this new "higher quality" one ;)

Thanks as always for the quick response Bob.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
+1 The hole is designed to be located at the bottom as you surmised

Before you install the seal check for inperfections in side the trans lip or bures along the edge of the opening
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
+1 The hole is designed to be located at the bottom as you surmised

Before you install the seal check for inperfections in side the trans lip or bures along the edge of the opening

Will do and thanks for the advice...

Jason

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
I know from experience that sometimes one can replace one perfectly good seal with another and obtain the same leaky results. While you are checking things out, check out the slip yoke for worn groves or a "wavy" sliding surface. The rear sleeve bearing can also have too much radial clearance resulting in undesirable movement. In any event, my experience resulted in replacement of the sleeve bearing, rear seal, AND the slip yoke. The leak was no more.

Frank