Author Topic: PICTURES of 67 Vacuum Canister/Resevoirs with any Related Vacuum Parts/Hoses  (Read 12337 times)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Here is a more detailed photo of that vacuum canister. My research from the Ford MPC shows that to be Ford part number C7ZZ-19A566-A. The MPC specifically states that it is for integral A/C, but not for use with the Perfect Circle brand of factory speed control. Note 2 different sized vacuum nipples.

Besides 1967 Mustang and Cougar, I think that I have seen the previously posted tilt vacuum canister (mounted under the battery tray) also installed on 1967 Ford Thunderbirds. To my knowledge they were the only other car built by Ford to have tilt and break away steering columns. I specifically say 'break away' because Lincoln and Thunderbird had a different 'slide away' column in 1966, and possibly earlier.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
I have been looking through all these picture I could get, but I still have not seen a late New Jersey car, like mine (April 27, '67), with A/C and tilt.  Anyone seen one of those?
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I have been looking through all these picture I could get, but I still have not seen a late New Jersey car, like mine (April 27, '67), with A/C and tilt.  Anyone seen one of those?

I have not seen a late NJ built but with all of the images I have seen so far, but using the research I have done to date, all later cars (like yours, with AC and tilt) seem to follow the same assembly procedures regardless which plant they were built so I believe you will be looking for the style pictured in all of the later built cars with both AC and Tilt, one under the battery on a bracket and another up in the passengers fender well above the tire not under the hood. Two hoses going into each canister.  The lower canister would have two 1/4 inch nipples and the upper canister would be one with 1/4" nipple and the other with a smaller nipple.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Thanks, that is the setup I am going with, but still curious about the existing single port can under the battery tray.  The holes I have for the port and the two bolts that hold the can in on the back side of the apron sure do look punched and not drilled, and the previous owner since 1981 said he did not change anything from how he got it, so if altered must have been done early and with some skill.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

Thanks, that is the setup I am going with, but still curious about the existing single port can under the battery tray.  The holes I have for the port and the two bolts that hold the can in on the back side of the apron sure do look punched and not drilled, and the previous owner since 1981 said he did not change anything from how he got it, so if altered must have been done early and with some skill.

You could leave it for now and await any updates that may or may not come in to support it being original. Be prepared to answer at judged events of the situation pending and should you get "dinged" at least you'll understand why. My 67 seems to be some sort of albatross of sorts and in a few areas, doesn't fit the mold either. Many of which I am not changing. Some things I am willing to adjust to fit in. Likewise, when you feel strong enough to believe it IS the way it came, why should you be required to change it...I agree.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Here is a picture of the tilt canister mounted under the battery tray for one of my projects.

I am now of the opinion that the early 67 that had both AC and tilt shared the same Large canister and used a in line check valve. The Ford instruction for the install of the speed control bare this out. I am not sure if the tee would have been on the firewall or under the dash.

The cars built after February 67 used the smaller AC canister that mounted through the apron and had the internal check valve. If they also had a tilt column that canister mounted under the battery tray as pictured.
Marty   

Offline 67gta289

Marty, both cars I've taken apart like this had the tee under the dash.  These were Nov and Dec 66 cars.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

Marty, both cars I've taken apart like this had the tee under the dash.  These were Nov and Dec 66 cars.

John, do you have a picture of the "T"? The best I can figure is the "T" would be in the 1/8" supply line going from the LARGE oblong canister to the AC controls, but is that correct? Wouldn't that be sized strange? 1/8" line stepped UP to 1/4"?

Here is a picture of the tilt canister mounted under the battery tray for one of my projects.

I am now of the opinion that the early 67 that had both AC and tilt shared the same Large canister and used a in line check valve. The Ford instruction for the install of the speed control bare this out. I am not sure if the tee would have been on the firewall or under the dash.

The cars built after February 67 used the smaller AC canister that mounted through the apron and had the internal check valve. If they also had a tilt column that canister mounted under the battery tray as pictured.
Marty   

Glad you came around Marty, and the Speed Control Installations did look like the "smoking gun" that sure looked to prove it to me also.

I gave up the search for the elusive canister mounting bracket that day :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:49:26 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

I would like to see that tee as well and where it is located.

Two things still bug me about this, the first is that the manuals were printed months before many of these cars with the large canister were built and yet the two small canisters are shown. The statement that no other devices should share vacuum lines was from the 67 assembly manual showing the two canister system. It must have been Fords intention to go the two canister way from the start but a supply or other problem held it up for a few months.
The second is supplying two systems with a 1/8 vacuum line especially where the tilt is calling for a 1/4 for it own.
I still think we are getting closer on figuring out what really happened.
Marty 

Offline 67gtasanjose

I would like to see that tee as well and where it is located.

Two things still bug me about this, the first is that the manuals were printed months before many of these cars with the large canister were built and yet the two small canisters are shown. The statement that no other devices should share vacuum lines was from the 67 assembly manual showing the two canister system. It must have been Fords intention to go the two canister way from the start but a supply or other problem held it up for a few months.
The second is supplying two systems with a 1/8 vacuum line especially where the tilt is calling for a 1/4 for it own.
I still think we are getting closer on figuring out what really happened.

Marty

+1 on this...100 percent.

What I know about MY EXAMPLE is that the Tilt column was disconnected when I got it at 10 years old (1978). First, I know I DID NOT remove a canister from the battery tray. I do remember re-working all the hoses & replaced the leaking check valve and repaired the vacuum pull diaphram to the column to get it all "working" circa 1979. I used a check valve from a Cougar or T-Bird with a double nipple on the reservoir side of the check valve to tie in the column and ran a seperate line through one of the existing holes in the cowl (heater hose opening for a non-AC car) That was good enough for me in that day and age. Today, I wish I had at least mentally kept track of what I replaced that day. Like many others, if ONLY I had kept what I threw away! :P

Marty: On the battery tray brace in your last image, I can see only a part of the date code. This "date" might play a part in some of the running changes if this particular battery tray is known to be original to the example you are working on.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:51:45 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

John, do you have a picture of the "T"? The best I can figure is the "T" would be in the 1/8" supply line going from the LARGE oblong canister to the AC controls, but is that correct? Wouldn't that be sized strange? 1/8" line stepped UP to 1/4"?

Yes I do.  Please see the pics below.

As far as the size changes, I don't see that as a big deal, as long as there is enough energy available to get the job done.  And there is with the design.

The tilt solenoid valve was shared with the Thunderbird, which as a luxury vehicle had a plethora of vacuum operated devices.  The valve was not designed specifically for the Mustang.  It could be (read: speculation) that the T-Bird had a larger (1/4") vacuum distribution backbone, and the tilt solenoid valve was designed to fit well there, and the carry across required some low cost adeptation.

As for location of the tee, you should be able to tell by the length of the hose that it was inside the pass compartment. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:33:16 PM by 67gta289 »
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

This is a picture of the battery tray brace from my November 2,1966 (actual build date)
As you can see, the date stamping on it is about two months prior to the actual build date
There are no signs that there was ever a vacuum canister mounted on this early design 22 F battery tray and I absolutely sure I haven't replaced the battery tray ever in the 37 years I have had the car.

The holes were not punched into it like the later versions I have seen for the mounting of those canisters.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:49:43 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

Found an example on eBay, VIN  7R02C154403.  Looks to have interior décor, tilt, 289, auto, no power disc brakes, no AC.  Note the location and type of vacuum canister.  Looks like a lot of work in the engine compartment, so the vacuum equipment may be bogus.  Pictures here since the eBay pictures will not last the test of time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-/262291239527?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d11c6b267:g:ZFoAAOSwQYZWwS3y&item=262291239527
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Found an example on eBay, VIN  7R02C154403.  Looks to have interior décor, tilt, 289, auto, no power disc brakes, no AC.  Note the location and type of vacuum canister.  Looks like a lot of work in the engine compartment, so the vacuum equipment may be bogus.  ...............

I vote for someone being creative .
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

Found an example on eBay, VIN  7R02C154403.  Looks to have interior décor, tilt, 289, auto, no power disc brakes, no AC.  Note the location and type of vacuum canister.  Looks like a lot of work in the engine compartment, so the vacuum equipment may be bogus.  Pictures here since the eBay pictures will not last the test of time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-/262291239527?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d11c6b267:g:ZFoAAOSwQYZWwS3y&item=262291239527

The Ebay car's scheduled build date looks to be a somewhat early build of 20K (October 20,'66) San Jose.
With no other vacuum options, the location under the passenger's hinge seems to be consistant at least to other findings. Somebody else (would need to go back in this thread) indicated a similar type and design for a non-AC tilt wheel car.

Agreed with Jeffs comment as far as likelyhood of being incorrect. A closer look would be required of the canister itself, the mouting fasteners and hoses to determine anythng of merit. A Marti Report on the car's options wouldn't hurt either.
Richard Urch