Author Topic: Correct tire for 1973 vert, mounted on Forged Al. Wheel  (Read 2476 times)

Offline gtcs1

Correct tire for 1973 vert, mounted on Forged Al. Wheel
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
I want to buy correct tire for my Forged Al wheels,  from Coker tire. Not clear which ones are correct on their site. My window sticker says;  /5/ GR78 x 14 Steel-Belted Radial Ply WSW tires. But that was for steel wheels that the car came with.

The car now has the Forged Al. wheel, is it still the same size tire as steel wheels?

Also does the spare, with those wheels, would have been also a forged Al wheel or just a plain steel wheel? My current spare has a steel Wheel, with a Uniroyal Zeta GR78R14 like new on it. Seems legit for that era? Did the Mustang came with Uniroyal?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:45:03 PM by gtcs1 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct tire for 1973 vert, mounted on Forged Al. Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
Not my area of focus but lets see if this will help. Fair number of loaded up 73 convertibles unrestored around, when compared to other years and models since a fair number of people bought them and put them away - last Mustang convertible and that sort of belief/thought 

Here are three unrestored examples (cars with the forged wheels)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
Nice pictures, thanks! 

Let me try mine;  This is the current spare, on steel wheel, WSW. Looks new. This is a Uniroyal. Mind you, this car came stock with steel wheel and hubcaps, which could explain the uniroyal. On those you show (or others) would you have example of window sticker or marti, that would state wide-o-oval. On mine both marti and window don't state the brand.

May be then it would be more appropriate the wide-o-oval.

My spare has also the lock, needing a key. I wonder why mine is mounted upside down compared to your 3 pictures ( valve not visible)?

So you confirm that a steel wheel is std supply when using forget alu. wheel?

What would be the meaning of the color spray dots on the wheel?

Thanks Jeff.

Pierre

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:26:45 PM by gtcs1 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
Let me try mine;  This is the current spare, on steel wheel, WSW. Looks new. This is a Uniroyal. Mind you, this car came stock with steel wheel and hubcaps, which could explain the uniroyal. On those you show (or others) would you have example of window sticker or marti, that would state wide-o-oval. On mine both marti and window don't state the brand.

Only have an invoice from another forged wheel 73 it shows the wheels and tires as being (5)F70x4 Wide Oval Belted BS Tires/Raised White Ltrs  for about $73

Don't recall a Uniroyal like your ever on a Ford originally but that is just me. Even if they were original its apparent that they would likely not be correct for a car with forged wheels

May be then it would be more appropriate the wide-o-oval.

We've got four unrestored 73 suggesting IMHO that

My spare has also the lock, needing a key. I wonder why mine is mounted upside down compared to your 3 pictures ( valve not visible)?

Looks like your car as a shorter J hook. Appears that the lock would work with the spare the other direction but don't know if the lock can use the original J hook diameter or needs a different one

So you confirm that a steel wheel is std supply when using forget alu. wheel?

Yes that is what the cars and paperwork we have so far shows

What would be the meaning of the color spray dots on the wheel?

Identifies the style and size of the steel rim for workers on the assembly line. Pretty typical practice for decades
Jeff Speegle

Offline nham3407

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
Here are some pictures of a 180'ish mile original 73.  It also came original with steel wheels that were swapped out by Bob Perkins to these factory slotted wheels before going to the next owner.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks for this info. So i'm leaning towards the wide oval, look very nice.

Per equivalency tables, the F70-14 is equivalent to the G78R14 (correct me if i'm wrong). But for the rim, are they the same width to accomodate both these tires?

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »
Per equivalency tables, the F70-14 is equivalent to the G78R14 (correct me if i'm wrong). But for the rim, are they the same width to accomodate both these tires?

Close enough - you don't have to be exact. IF you get the repos they should be just fine for the look in most cases
Jeff Speegle

Offline gtcs1

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »
If I may bug you again, I need your opinions.

I see on Cocker site that the wide-o-oval come with raised white letters and with WSW no raised white letters.

Were they both avail from Ford factory. I like the raised letters but find the WSW could look more classic.

What do you think would look better on my car?

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
What do you think would look better on my car?

The white letters - more period correct and less 60's look
Jeff Speegle