Author Topic: Door hinge sealant  (Read 2577 times)

Offline astat1

Door hinge sealant
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
Regarding a late May 69 GT500, is it just the top hinge that gets sealed, and is the correct sealer the 3M cord type material? I saw a mention in a previous post in reference to a 68 and just the top hinge. Since I'm asking, what is the utility of sealing just the top hinge (assuming just the top get covered)? Photo appreciated. Thanks all!

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Door hinge sealant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »
Its just body sealer like the stuff that comes in a caulking tube. I have only seen it used on top hinge and often it is drooled all over the pillar support
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
I would do both top and bottom. Just a minor difference of opinion. :D. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:55 PM »
Another opinion. I too use the chalking gun product - your looking for something that remains a little flexible (not the 3M cord seal though) and is paintable

Seen most of San Jose and Dearborn sealed on the leading and top edge only
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:58:09 AM »
Another opinion. I too use the chalking gun product - your looking for something that remains a little flexible (not the 3M cord seal though) and is paintable

Seen most of San Jose and Dearborn sealed on the leading and top edge only
Jeff, I agree with you on the way the hinge was sealed on the leading edge and top edge.  The top hinge and bottom hinge are both sealed  IMHO which is what I was refering to.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
Regarding a late May 69 GT500, is it just the top hinge that gets sealed, and is the correct sealer the 3M cord type material? I saw a mention in a previous post in reference to a 68 and just the top hinge. Since I'm asking, what is the utility of sealing just the top hinge (assuming just the top get covered)? Photo appreciated. Thanks all!

Top hinge only on this 70 - glopped on pretty heavy. Can't see any on the lower hinge - hmm, might explain rusted floor pans...
Rick
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx