Author Topic: "Teal" blue power steering pump?  (Read 21514 times)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
Re: "Teal" blue power steering pump?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
Here is another view of the housing.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline CW4macret

Power Steering Pump Paint
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »
A friend used Mustang POWER STEERING PUMP PAINT ENAMEL EXACT: part number AP-PSPE from NPD on 65 power steering pump and was written up for wrong color. This paint is a dark turquoise / purple. I assume it was a slop mix each day. Anyway was told it is too dark and told to go look at another car. Sure enough the color on the other car was much lighter. Just like early Pontiac engine paint. Anyway just want to ask is the NPD Mustang POWER STEERING PUMP PAINT ENAMEL EXACT MATCH part number AP-PSPE correct or not?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:07:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Power Steering Pump Paint
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
If it hasn't changed in the last few years I've been happy and successful with it. Might want to take a couple of shots (back ground and lightly will really effect a digital camera and post them but I think we've posted a fair number of examples of originals in the past for you to compare them to. IF I recall the lighter color your referring to I've never seen an original that color before used on a "teal"  PS pump
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:16:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Power Steering Pump Finish
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »
Just trying to confirm the correct finish for the Power Steering Pump body/core. Most of the ones I have seen have either been painted black or cast blast, but I am assuming that it should be a bare metal finish. Does anyone actually use cast blast for concours and is it acceptable. I know it is in some circles, not sure in Mustang world. Normally I try to always follow factory standard wherever possible.

I am referring to the outside part that is visible from the front.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Power Steering Pump Finish
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
Just trying to confirm the correct finish for the Power Steering Pump body/core. Most of the ones I have seen have either been painted black or cast blast, but I am assuming that it should be a bare metal finish. Does anyone actually use cast blast for concours and is it acceptable. I know it is in some circles, not sure in Mustang world. Normally I try to always follow factory standard wherever possible.

I am referring to the outside part that is visible from the front.

Thanks
It is all painted at the same time so it would be the same painted color as the reservoir . The core is a specific design depending on if Ford Thompson or TRW . The MFG determines what color it was from the particular factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 02:45:58 AM »
It is all painted at the same time so it would be the same painted color as the reservoir . The core is a specific design depending on if Ford Thompson or TRW . The MFG determines what color it was from the particular factory.

Thanks Bob. So for my car does that mean that the front showing/core would be painted teal color. I am not sure which manufacturer I have, but I can look for a logo. Should I assume that San Jose could have used either unit. So what finish would Ford Thomson use and what color would TRW use
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »
Thanks Bob. So for my car does that mean that the front showing/core would be painted teal color. I am not sure which manufacturer I have, but I can look for a logo. Should I assume that San Jose could have used either unit. So what finish would Ford Thomson use and what color would TRW use
Yes SJ could have ether . Ford Thompson was the teal and TRW black. The front of the pump should be the same as what the tag indicates on the back . They can get mixed up at rebuilders TRW tag and Ford Thompson pump core. The Ford Thompson core with have a Ford trademark and a C8 engineering number (in the case of a 68-70 unit) The TRW does not have a Ford trademark or a engineering number typically . It will most often have a W cast in the front.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »
Yes SJ could have ether . Ford Thompson was the teal and TRW black. The front of the pump should be the same as what the tag indicates on the back . They can get mixed up at rebuilders TRW tag and Ford Thompson pump core. The Ford Thompson core with have a Ford trademark and a C8 engineering number (in the case of a 68-70 unit) The TRW does not have a Ford trademark or a engineering number typically . It will most often have a W cast in the front.

Thanks Bob here are my canister markings. I will need to go to my shop to check the pump core stamps. Looks like I have a Ford Thompson pump and should be painted teal. So I will paint both teal
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:24:21 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
Thanks Bob here are my canister markings. I will need to go to my shop to check the pump core stamps. Looks like I have a Ford Thompson pump and should be painted teal. So I will paint both teal

Not only both but the assembly. Protect/mask/ tape off the shaft. Install the tag and rear retaining nut then paint as pointed out in prior threads and discussions
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
Not only both but the assembly. Protect/mask/ tape off the shaft. Install the tag and rear retaining nut then paint as pointed out in prior threads and discussions

Thanks Jeff. Does that mean that the tag gets painted as well
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Does that mean that the tag gets painted as well

That and the retaining (big thin) nut. Reason I wanted to mention those details ;)

Basic idea

Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
That and the retaining (big thin) nut. Reason I wanted to mention those details ;)

Basic idea

Thanks Jeff that is perfect
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Before assembling my pump (plan was to wet sand the reservoir before completing the assembly and a re-shoot),  hoping the color shows correctly on viewing monitors. One pic with flash and one without. Bought at NPD 3 or 4 years ago, just getting around to pump rebuild.
(apologies for the slow load, large file...new phone, need to change the settings...)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:16:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
A friend used Mustang POWER STEERING PUMP PAINT ENAMEL EXACT: part number AP-PSPE from NPD on 65 power steering pump and was written up for wrong color. This paint is a dark turquoise / purple. I assume it was a slop mix each day. Anyway was told it is too dark and told to go look at another car. Sure enough the color on the other car was much lighter. Just like early Pontiac engine paint. Anyway just want to ask is the NPD Mustang POWER STEERING PUMP PAINT ENAMEL EXACT MATCH part number AP-PSPE correct or not?
There was a range of shades it could be given the paint varied from one batch to another. Hard to say what the issue was at the time of judging . Paint error ,judging error etc. Without seeing a picture (monitors can play tricks when reviewing as mentioned ) or knowing the circumstances/context it would be hard to give a definitive answer to your question. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:16:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:22 PM »
Agreed that this may possibly be judges error - depending on the education or experiences of one or more judges in a team. Some less seasoned judges can fall into the "its not like mine" mindset which is unfortunate. If you have matched the color to an original then just be prepared next time during the introduction of the judging team to offer something like.

"In the past there was a question about the PS pump color and we had the color matched to an original, here is a spray out/example of the color and as you can see it matched the pump"  Substituting a really good printed picture of an original  in your binder of documentation may also serve the same purpose. For an MCA judged event this should move the subject to subject to the "reasonable doubt" consideration
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:16:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle