Author Topic: TMI's 1967 Parchment doesn't look even close.  (Read 2800 times)

1967 eight barrel

TMI's 1967 Parchment doesn't look even close.
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Has anyone else had an issue with TMI's sample of 1967 Light Parchment being quite a bit off and on the brown side?

Offline Paperback Writer

Re: TMI's 1967 Parchment doesn't look even close.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »
When we were restoring my car with a 6U Deluxe Light Parchment interior back in 2013, we too had a somewhat difficult time getting all of the Light Parchment pieces (seat upholstery, deluxe seat backs, door panels, quarter trim panels, dash and door paint, windlace, kick panels, lower dash knee pad, A-pillar pads, sun visors, console, deluxe horn pad, and convertible boot cover) to match.

Some of the materials and paints were too white, while others were too yellow – but I don’t recall any of them being on the brownish side - are you sure you have Light Parchment and not Saddle?

Color matching on a computer screen is always tricky (you no doubt saw the “Blue/Black or White/Gold Dress” controversy in the news a few days ago), but in the first photo below, you will see a TMI 1967 deluxe Light Parchment door panel, two 1967 TMI Light Parchment seat bottoms, and in the center is a swatch of the 1967 Light Parchment seat upholstery that originally came with the car.  The swatch was cut from a part of the seat that was covered by the deluxe seat back, so there wouldn't be any sun/UV damage to the material that would have caused it to yellow or fade.  It was then gently cleaned with soap and water to give us a good example of what the seat color was originally…

I did learn that TMI has at least two or three different colors of Light Parchment as well.  The deluxe door panel and the seat bottom on the left are in TMI’s basic 1967 Light Parchment color (I believe it is color code 3096).  The 1967 seat bottom on the right is in another TMI Light Parchment color (color code 2613).  While not a perfect match, the 3096 color seemed to be much closer to the original color than the 2613 color did…

The next two photos are of the finished car.  I think we did a pretty good job of getting all of the Light Parchment pieces to match, except for the windlace – it’s still a little too dark, but it’s all that’s available right now…

Hope this helps!
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:53:38 PM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
After ordering everything parchment from one location AT THE SAME TIME and fighting for about a year, to a year and a half....I ended up simply dyeing EVERYTHING at one time with the same product.

CONCOURS correct? Maybe not 100%...but at least it all matches and it looks AWESOME to me. I've had dyed vinyl before and it takes YEARS to wear through even with mostly daily driving. To each his own battle but this one really STANK! It kept me at bay from moving on to taking the car the rest of the way apart...kinda fearing "What's the NEXT battle going to be like???"

...THEN I joined this forum (hoping to avoid anything similar again) and boy was I suprised HOW LITTLE I KNEW

The combined voices of experience here is rather staggering.

To bad things (with Parchment Interior pieces) have not changed since 2012-13 when I also did my upholstery...I thought somehow it was my fault by using a particular vendor (that I had sworn off using for the most part because of the battle in color matching)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »
I appreciate your response. I ordered a sample, which arrived last night. It's quite dark. When I ordered the TMI interior It explained that I leaned more in the off white spectrum. They sent me what was in '67 upholstery, but it is in '66 pony white. The fiberglass trim in very light in color, and I still have yet to finds matching colors. What is even more frustrating is the fact the glass is back in the shell and the headliner was already installed. So I have all '66 white colors. Quite frustrating to say the least.

-Keith
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:14:03 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
If you're going for absolute correct, will need to find NOS covers or locate NOS vinyl and have new covers made.  Can have door panels made with NOS material also.  Note that there are different "weights" of vinyl, which have to do with the thickness.  Door panels are typically 'trim weight', while seats are 'seat weight'.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »
Charles:
I appreciate the offering. Finding NOS materials at a reasonable cost aren't likely to happen. I will likely look at the dye scenario.
I have been fighting with the fact my original color leaned more towards white than it does the samples of Parchment I have been able to locate. It has been frustrating. An old Shelby affectianado I know had an original formula. I had two ounces mixed, and it seems to be exactly on. As a matter of fact, when touched onto the inside of the A pillar pads, you can't tell the difference. It is much lighter than most offerings. I ordered a new pair of A pillar pads expecting to have to dye them, but they are exactly on the original sample and paint mixture. Now onto the upholstery. If you have a black deluxe car, you won't have the uphill fight those of us with the off-white light parchment colors have.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »

... If you have a black deluxe car, you won't have the uphill fight those of us with the off-white light parchment colors have.

HERE!-HERE!!!!!!!  :o ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:21:34 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:12:31 PM »
Charles:
I appreciate the offering. Finding NOS materials at a reasonable cost aren't likely to happen. I will likely look at the dye scenario.
I have been fighting with the fact my original color leaned more towards white than it does the samples of Parchment I have been able to locate. It has been frustrating. An old Shelby affectianado I know had an original formula. I had two ounces mixed, and it seems to be exactly on. As a matter of fact, when touched onto the inside of the A pillar pads, you can't tell the difference. It is much lighter than most offerings. I ordered a new pair of A pillar pads expecting to have to dye them, but they are exactly on the original sample and paint mixture. Now onto the upholstery. If you have a black deluxe car, you won't have the uphill fight those of us with the off-white light parchment colors have.

Before abandoning the suggestion, would think you'd at least try first.  I found NOS white '65 vinyl in varying weight and lengths about 5 years ago with little trouble.  There are 2 major NOS/obsolete upholstery vendors in the US and a couple others that aren't as well known.  Start with SMS fabrics and Original auto interiors.  Contact Scott Halseth at the Michigan NPD store, he can handle getting new covers and door panels made from NOS yardage.

In my opinion, dye will not yield the correct results for parchment interior. 

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »
The real issue at hand is the headliner is in, the glass is back in. The seats are upholstered and door panels are here and have been for some time, so I eat them if I change. I didn't have a comparable for some components. I may just roll with what's done for the time being and change at another juncture.