Author Topic: Package tray and speaker grill, 65 coupe  (Read 7053 times)

Offline trucktricksdon

• Direction Auto & Truck Accessories
Package tray and speaker grill, 65 coupe
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
What is the correct color and surface material for the masonite package tray and speaker grill on a Nov 64 coupe? Car is white standard with black appointments. Did they just paint the masonite or did they actually cover it with something? Was the speaker grill painted to match the package tray? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Package tray and speaker grill, 65 coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:04 AM »
So your car has the rear speaker package? Did it have the reverb option?

The grills were a red oxide color out of the box so they needed to be painted to match the interior by the dealer or whom ever installed this

Yes the package trays were simply painted on the top surface to match the interior - no "covering"

In general they were typically painted to match the rear seat (rather than headliner) but honestly can't recall the correct color, at this moment, for a white with black interior

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline trucktricksdon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:09:38 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. No, it did not have the rear speaker option or the reverb ( I wish it did). I have added the reproduction AMFM stereo and am adding the rear speaker, but I want it to appear as stock as possible when looking at it through the window. I am not very happy with the reproduction radio and may just fix the original AM radio and put it back in. (but my wife wouldn't be very happy about that). I would like to gather as much information as I can about how the option was done at the time and make it as close to that as I can. If I cannot make it look like it needs to, I think I may just put the AM back in. One of my biggest pet peaves is to see a set of Kenwoods hacked into the rear deck.

So far I have gathered that, with the center speaker option, it was a single speaker in the center of the tray, (rough side up on the masonite), package tray painted seat color and the grill was most likely painted the same color as well, correct?

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »
You are correct sir. My dads Pagoda green white/black interior only the carpet and dash were black.

You also have a few options for your AM raido. You can have the guts removed and converted to AM/FM. I would not get the LED ligh to tell you it is FM. I never understood that. They also make an AM raido adaptor for an Ipod.  http://www.rediscoveradio.com/ You just need to unplug and replug some stuff, nothing that can not be reversed. Just throwing it out there.
5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
So far I have gathered that, with the center speaker option, it was a single speaker in the center of the tray, (rough side up on the masonite), package tray painted seat color and the grill was most likely painted the same color as well, correct?

Nope I stated that I could not remember what color the package tray was on a white with black appointments was

You are correct sir. My dads Pagoda green white/black interior only the carpet and dash were black.

Are you reporting that that car had a white package tray (package tray matching the seats)?
Jeff Speegle

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:34 AM »
Yes jeff that is what I am saying. The package tray was white matching the seats. Just as you said. I know of a poppy red car with white black interior but I am pretty sure the tray is gone. I will check when I get a chance.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
Agree that the package tray should be a light color, but I would not say matching exactly to the seats as the texture of the package tray would create a "flat" appearance.

In regards to the radio, the only way a rear speaker could be considered "correct" is if there is an accompanying reverb setup.  The original AM/FM, like the AM was a mono unit, not stereo.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline trucktricksdon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. As for the color of the package tray, the one I removed was white but the car had been redone years ago and the carpet and  body color were changed. The Car is supposed to be poppy red with white interior and black appointments and someone had painted it Caspian blue and put blue carpet in it as well, so I wasnt sure on the package tray as to the authenticity of the white one I took out. Changing the guts in the AM radio sounds like a good option. I would rather just find an original AM FM mono unit and not have a rear speaker, since finding a reverb unit may be near impossible. Does Anyone know of one out there?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
Original 65-66 AM/FM units are still very valuable.  I'd expect to pay in the $1000-1500 range for a working one in nice condition.

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
Does Anyone know of one out there?
I have a few Reverbs. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. You just need to keep an eye out and make sure it is a FORD unit.  You can usually spot a Ford unit by the multi colored ribbon wire. They will have a cardboard top and stamped RV4F or RV4D. My RV4F has a food controll switch and the D does not. You could also add the foot controll so I do not know if that played a role in the F vs D. The rear speaker grills also are fairly common but I have seen two diffrent styles. One with round holes and the other with rectangle cut outs for holes in the metal speaker cover. I believe that the round hole is a later style, but do not know a cut off date.

The one thing I did learn about reverbs is this. You must use the mono radio and use a 8 OHM rear speaker and factory dash speaker or it will mess the reverb up. About the only thing you will need to make sure of that is not broken because it can not be fixed is that the springs in the unit are not damaged. Most everything else still can be fixed by an eletronics person. I used greg and S&M electro tech. As for the price of them I have seen complete units go for $50 to $250. THe only advice I will give is I would pass on a unit unless it is complete with wiring harness and switch. Boxes Single are common but harnesses with a switch by them selves are very tough to come by.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:52:48 PM by 5F09CNot4Sale »

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Original 65-66 AM/FM units are still very valuable.  I'd expect to pay in the $1000-1500 range for a working one in nice condition.
Here's and original for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-66-1965-MUSTANG-Original-AM-FM-Radio-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5a57364bQQitemZ250623768139QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline trucktricksdon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
This is great info. I am getting my car back soon and am going to start putting it back together. I haven't made a decision as to how I am going to handle this radio situation yet. I have a lot of other overwelming things to look at. Is it "correct" for the AM FM to NOT have a rear speaker or was the speaker and reverb unit part of that whole option?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
The only way that I am aware of where a rear speaker was installed was if the reverb system was installed by a dealer,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
........... Is it "correct" for the AM FM to NOT have a rear speaker or was the speaker and reverb unit part of that whole option?

Yes since the AM AF is a mono radio the rear speaker was not part of the package nor included in a dealer installed kit.

The single rear speaker was available (part of the kit) for the reverb and as a stand alone item available for separate purchase as shown in the accessory catalogs of the period
Jeff Speegle

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
Here are the speaker grill differences I was talking about. The one on the right I believe is the earlier used one.

Charles, Your correct on the not matching comment about the package tray. I was just meaning that both were white. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:38:50 AM by 5F09CNot4Sale »