Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Package tray and speaker grill, 65 coupe

<< < (2/3) > >>

5F09CNot4Sale:
Yes jeff that is what I am saying. The package tray was white matching the seats. Just as you said. I know of a poppy red car with white black interior but I am pretty sure the tray is gone. I will check when I get a chance.

CharlesTurner:
Agree that the package tray should be a light color, but I would not say matching exactly to the seats as the texture of the package tray would create a "flat" appearance.

In regards to the radio, the only way a rear speaker could be considered "correct" is if there is an accompanying reverb setup.  The original AM/FM, like the AM was a mono unit, not stereo.

trucktricksdon:
Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. As for the color of the package tray, the one I removed was white but the car had been redone years ago and the carpet and  body color were changed. The Car is supposed to be poppy red with white interior and black appointments and someone had painted it Caspian blue and put blue carpet in it as well, so I wasnt sure on the package tray as to the authenticity of the white one I took out. Changing the guts in the AM radio sounds like a good option. I would rather just find an original AM FM mono unit and not have a rear speaker, since finding a reverb unit may be near impossible. Does Anyone know of one out there?

CharlesTurner:
Original 65-66 AM/FM units are still very valuable.  I'd expect to pay in the $1000-1500 range for a working one in nice condition.

5F09CNot4Sale:

--- Quote from: trucktricksdon on April 27, 2010, 10:26:38 AM --- Does Anyone know of one out there?
--- End quote ---
I have a few Reverbs. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. You just need to keep an eye out and make sure it is a FORD unit.  You can usually spot a Ford unit by the multi colored ribbon wire. They will have a cardboard top and stamped RV4F or RV4D. My RV4F has a food controll switch and the D does not. You could also add the foot controll so I do not know if that played a role in the F vs D. The rear speaker grills also are fairly common but I have seen two diffrent styles. One with round holes and the other with rectangle cut outs for holes in the metal speaker cover. I believe that the round hole is a later style, but do not know a cut off date.

The one thing I did learn about reverbs is this. You must use the mono radio and use a 8 OHM rear speaker and factory dash speaker or it will mess the reverb up. About the only thing you will need to make sure of that is not broken because it can not be fixed is that the springs in the unit are not damaged. Most everything else still can be fixed by an eletronics person. I used greg and S&M electro tech. As for the price of them I have seen complete units go for $50 to $250. THe only advice I will give is I would pass on a unit unless it is complete with wiring harness and switch. Boxes Single are common but harnesses with a switch by them selves are very tough to come by.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version