Author Topic: Rocker Panel Molding installation  (Read 19527 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Rocker Panel Molding installation
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2016, 05:34:46 AM »
I will not bore you, but I'm still struggeling with some measures.

Pls see my marks in blue (a to f)

Even some measures are depending if the (Fender) clips(es) are original or repo (e.g. position a) or  b), than original measures can be used (and a remark to be written on the drawing: "clip repo measures can be different"

Hope you see what I mean.

To me its difficult to understand e.g. the measure "Measured from rear of Front Fender"

It's just a proposal.

Ralf

Ralf : Once again, I cannot open your attachment. However, maybe the attached two drawings (not as nice as the others) will give you what you want.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
Exactly, Bob, thats what I asked for.
Thx to everybody, who helped me to get this done.

Ralf
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:56:56 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Ralf

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
Ralf : I assume you mean the spacing of the holes on the NOS Rocker that is for sale on Ebay ? You must mean that, as I have already provided the size of the holes to be drilled (1/8" rivet for the Retainers requires 1/8" hole, and front Clip Stud requires a 0.32" hole). If that is what you are asking (for someone to ask the Seller to measure the holes on the Rocker for sale, I wouldn't use that information. Remember, only the Fastbacks cane "Standard: from the Factory with the Rocker Panel Moldings in '67. For Convertibles, they had to be ordered as a Factory Option, or purchased from the Dealer as an Accessory. That being the case, although possible, I can't imagine a Service Part coming with the holes already drilled for a Convertible. My guess is that someone was going to use this Rocker Panel and wanted to add the Rocker Panel Moldings, so he drilled holes for them. Then for some reason, decided not to use it ?? Just my thought.

As I mentioned before, I can measure my Factory Installed Rocker Panel Molding Retainer and Clip spacings in a week or two when I get to where my car is. Of course it was built in Dearborn, not San Jose, but it is a Convertible. I guess that one can't have everything.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline Ralf

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 03:04:34 AM »
I can't imagine a Service Part coming with the holes already drilled for a Convertible. My guess is that someone was going to use this Rocker Panel and wanted to add the Rocker Panel Moldings, so he drilled holes for them. Then for some reason, decided not to use it ?? Just my thought.

As I mentioned before, I can measure my Factory Installed Rocker Panel Molding Retainer and Clip spacings in a week or two when I get to where my car is. Of course it was built in Dearborn, not San Jose, but it is a Convertible. I guess that one can't have everything.

Bob
Yes, Bob, believe you're right and thx for measures.
Another thing. Since I do not have original Rocker Molding Panels, only repo, I have some fear on the quality and fitment to the car body.
Anybody experience with such after market parts?
Ralf

Offline Building 3

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 06:12:12 AM »
Yes I have. The after market ones I bought were thinner than the originals. Once put on you could easily see some
deflection. I found a set of NOS ones and they went on with no trouble and look much better. 
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
Yes I have. The after market ones I bought were thinner than the originals. Once put on you could easily see some
deflection. I found a set of NOS ones and they went on with no trouble and look much better.

That's been my experience as well.  The aftermarket rocker moldings are very thin.  On my '67, I added them, and if you know where to look, you can literally see where every clip is located.  The metal is so thin that it slightly distorts from the shape of the clip.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Than not better using after markets.
But where to get NOS (/used, but good condition)? Bay sometimes, but often only single ones.
Ralf
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 04:44:17 PM by Ralf »

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2016, 04:44:42 AM »
Returned a few days ago from our Southern Colorado home where my '67 resides. As "promised", I measured the retainer and clip locations, and also  took pictures of the NOS moldings that I purchased from my Ford Dealer in the early 80's. As a reminder, mine is a 1967 Convertible, built January 31, 1967, in Dearborn. It has documented, Factory installed Rocker Panel Moldings that were ordered as an Option with the car. My Convertible has seven (7) retainers and one clip on each side. This is in contrast to the two Fastbacks previously mentioned (Fastback2013's and 67gta289's), each of which has five retainers and one clip, and the Coupe previously mentioned (67gtasanjose's) which has six retainers and one clip on each side. As I did with the dimensions furnished from the Coupe, I "doctored up" drawings showing the dimensions of the retainers and clip. I still wish we had more input from other Convertible owners with Factory installed moldings in order to see if seven retainers was the "norm" for Convertibles.

On my NOS moldings, it's interesting to note that, while both were purchased from my Ford Dealer in the early 80's, one is packaged between two pieces of brown, "Kraft type" paper printed with "Ford", and the other between one piece of brown "Kraft type" paper and a "vacuum applied" piece of clear plastic. Both were stamped as "W/ Att. Parts". Also note the picture that shows the Front Clip, crimped into the molding as previously noted in someone's Reply. This Front plastic Clip is then "part of the molding", and as such, has no separate Part Number.

Hope this helps.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
As promised in no particular order

Forgot and cut off the VIN so it didn't include the body style in all of these - Oops  :(

Purple arrows indicate what look to be nylon retainers while the green arrows appear to be the triangle single post style best I can tell from the picture. Sorry these pictures were not originally taken to show this detail

Here are fastbacks

7R2391xx

7R1258xx

7F1121xx

7T2563xx

7F02T1229xx

++++++++++++++++++++++

and the others

7R01S108xxx

Can't explain what were seeing but at would have expected that at least the fastbacks would be more consistent.
Hope this helps in some way 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)