Author Topic: '69 w/FMX. Always starts in 2nd gear  (Read 2526 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 w/FMX. Always starts in 2nd gear
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »
I've been dealing with a persistent issue with the FMX in my '69 Mach 1.  Unless the car is up to operating temperature, it absolutely will not start out in 1st gear.  It will stay in 2nd taking off, and only by manually shifting or flooring the accelerator will it downshift into 1st.  It's really aggravating, to say the least, and I've heard that it's rough on a transmission to make it pull like that.  Once the car reaches operating temperature, it's fine, and from a dead stop it starts out in 1st gear as it should. 

I've always heard that FMX transmissions are notorious for this problem.  This one was professionally built and has very few miles on it, and it's done this since the day I brought it home from the transmission shop.
What causes this, and is there any way to fix this problem?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline tobkob

Re: '69 w/FMX. Always starts in 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »
Sounds like your governor is sticking.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »
I'd ask Ken at BadShoe Productions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/badshoe/  Very knowledgeable.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »
I'd ask Ken at BadShoe Productions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/badshoe/  Very knowledgeable.

Thanks, I thought about doing that too.  He has great videos.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
 Try a can of Lubeguard.  I'm betting it's in the valve body. I had the same issue with a Mopar trans. Guy at the trans shop gave me a bottle. I'm usually leary of "mechanic-in-a-can", bit it worked and never had any problems. The guy told me they add it after every rebuild or trans flush. It's not expensive, so not much to lose by trying it.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »
Thanks, I thought about doing that too.  He has great videos.
I used his FMX DVD set to rebuild my FMX. I have yet to test it, but I'd not have even attempted to tear it down with out the video. Turns out due to some water that got in and it sitting for some 20 years, the material on the flex band had severely pitted and several of the steel's in the front clutch pack had pitted.

You can almost make out the fluid line. Though its a low mileage car, people must have been hard on it as a couple of the steels were also burnt and warped.

Ken and others in the group then helped me with a few items in the rebuild, like taking out the wave spring in the direct clutch pack and installing an extra steel/friction plate(s) to take up the extra space and provide a firmer 2 to 3 shift.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »
Ken and others in the group then helped me with a few items in the rebuild, like taking out the wave spring in the direct clutch pack and installing an extra steel/friction plate(s) to take up the extra space and provide a firmer 2 to 3 shift.

Ken's videos are definitely very helpful.  And you can't put a price on little tricks like taking out the wave spring.  Who would know to do that, other than somebody who had been into a ton of FMX transmissions?  Really cool that he's willing to share all of these trade secrets.