Author Topic: Rocker panel blackout on '69 Mach 1?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Rocker panel blackout on '69 Mach 1?
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
I've looked at several Mach 1s lately, both on eBay and in person.  Some of the cars had blacked out rocker panels, and others were body color.  Which was correct, or did this apply only to certain paint colors or production plants?  I have a '69 Mach in Black Jade, and I'd like to know for sure before I get the car ready to paint.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Rocker panel blackout on '69 Mach 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »
If your asking about the pinch weld (the spotwelded edge used to join the rocker and the inner rocker) then yes it was the practice of all plants to black this out, before the front fenders were installed from the front wheel well to the rear valance. It is common belief that this was done on all Mustangs  other than black cars. Some others believe that some very dark colors were skipped over also but in recent years some original paint examples have suggested that even these got the black out  but currently very dark colors without are not loosing points for not having the detail.

This is a very often over looked detail than many home restores seem to miss though it only takes about $3-5 to correct and about 15 minutes.

Normally the black extends on the bottom horizontal surface of the rocker, out from the pinch weld by approx 1/2" on average. The edge was not taped off , so we would expect no sharp paint edge but instead a soft paint edge as would be produced by free handing the application with a low pressure gun at about 30 degree angle or with a paint shield. Most painters use a back masking technique to reproduce the soft edge and in turn protect the upper surfaces from overspray

Hope this helps

From a 67 but some thing - REMEMBER the black overspray on panels and edges that hung down below the car. Also consider there was more overspray than shown in these pictures originally , lighter spray likely was worn away of the years.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:07:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff!  The area I'm talking about covers about 90% of the outer rocker, basically from the chrome strip (which I assume came on all Mach 1's) downward.  I've seen a lot of cars that had the entire rocker from the chrome strip downward blacked out, and also a lot of cars that had body-colored rockers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:05:33 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff!  The area I'm talking about covers about 90% of the outer rocker, basically from the chrome strip (which I assume came on all Mach 1's) downward.  I've seen a lot of cars that had the entire rocker from the chrome strip downward blacked out, ......................

Assume that these were "restored" cars :(    finishing then that way might please the owner but is not original IMHO. They might be confusing the 70 Mach I below the large rocker moldings

They (69 Mach I's) were treated the same (in this area) the same as  non Mach i's that year as shown above
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
Glad to finally have an answer.  Thanks Jeff!