Author Topic: Suitable match for '66 black interior paint?  (Read 10542 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Suitable match for '66 black interior paint?
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
I'm finishing up the interior restoration on my '66 fastback, and I have a few questions about duplicating the original finish on the interior paint.  I've seen a LOT of variations over the years, and it seems that a lot of people end up with interiors that are too dull or too shiny.  I'd like to avoid this.  I've seen the paints offered by NPD and other Mustang retailers.  I'm kind of hesitant about trying to spray the larger panels on a fastback with a spray can, but is this the best way to go?  Has anyone used these spray-can paints with any type of success?  Again, I just want the most correct looking paint possible.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Suitable match for '66 black interior paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »

If you are talking original '66 interior paint...It would be Charcoal "Irid" Black.

It looks like sort of like a semi-flat metallic Black.  It is definately more flat than glossy and is still sold in laquer cans from NPD and California Mustang.  Most Ford and Mustang Parts vendors carry it in a laquer spray bomb.  That is the correct one for re-spraying a door lets say to match the rest of the interior.  The big problem is...that the original black was really not that attractive if you can believe it when compared to other blacks..kind of yucky looking if you ask me. (My personal opinion)... Hence the beginning flood of resto colors...Many shades of different blacks that you now see today at car shows.  The original Krylon 1613 has far proven itself to be the best overal spray bomb....or I should say...The best looking...and best wearing.  A problem is that Valspar (The maker of Krylon) discontiued the original laquer based formula (for over 30 years) for a new Enamel based formula (Greenpeace crazies) which is like poo when compared to the old stuff.  You can still get the original Krylon 1613 at Graingers online though. It sells for like 5 bucks a can. The original black was never glossy, yet it was metallic when you looked at it in the light or sunshine...and I hate seeing a "Gloss black dash" at shows.. It really looks wrong.  It all depends where you want to go and how far that you want to take it... You could have a body shop mix it up and spray it for you...which is an excellent route...but you'd probably have to gut your interior to do so..

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
Charcoal black was first introduced in Mustangs for the '67 model year.

The correct black for 65-66 is a non-metallic semi-gloss (more to the flat side).
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
While not completely concours correct, the SEMS Landau Black is a reasonably close match to the original.  If you're completely re-doing the entire interior (doors, dash, panels, etc.) this may be a good way to go.  SEMS is very easy to apply and touch-up.  With the entire interior done this way, you may be able to fool a judge or two or three...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
Charcoal black was first introduced in Mustangs for the '67 model year.

The correct black for 65-66 is a non-metallic semi-gloss (more to the flat side).

Just to be sure: So the right black for a 67 interior is charcoal black metallic, right?
Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
Just to be sure: So the right black for a 67 interior is charcoal black metallic, right?

Yessir
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Alright, thanks!
Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »

Non-Metallic Black used in '64-'66?? That's news to me.. I always thought that the Black interior color was the same '64-'70.. Learned somthing new...!!! Good to know.  That actually makes me feel better knowing that I used non-metallic Black to re-paint my interior..lol..  It was a better match than I thought....  ;)

I'll have to take a closer look at my '66 Hardtop interior.  It has an original Factory Black painted interior.  My buddy owns it now.. Sold it to him two years ago...He lives around the corner..

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:31:51 AM »
You can go to your local PPG Jober and get sb12 which is the vinyl reformatulation of the laquer that was original used.  Your Local ppg jober should be able to sell you 4 oz and then repackage it in a 16oz spray bomb for you to used should cost around 15 bucks or so. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »
You can go to your local PPG Jober and get sb12 which is the vinyl reformatulation of the laquer that was original used.  Your Local ppg jober should be able to sell you 4 oz and then repackage it in a 16oz spray bomb for you to used should cost around 15 bucks or so.

Of course this would depend on where you live the the local restrictions ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
Well, I've had everything painted for a week now.  The paint turned out really nice, but it's fairly thin.  One the one side, the thinness is great for grained parts like the doors, as you're less likely to fill in the grain.  However, it takes several coats to get good coverage on larger parts.  All said and done, I used five cans.  I'm kind of concerned about how well it will hold up over the long run, but as this car is a very occasional driver, it should be fine.
Too much junk, too little time.