Author Topic: 1967 390 Fan Clutch Questions/Discussion  (Read 6870 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Re: Re: 1967 390 engine bracket questions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »
Here's a side view of it. Damn! This clutch is going to be the death of me!!! If my wife doesn't kill me first.

Thanks for the info though.
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 01:36:19 AM »
Here's a side view of it. Damn! This clutch is going to be the death of me!!! If my wife doesn't kill me first.

Thanks for the info though.
Yes that is the later service replacement designed for use with both the BB and the SB . The assemblyline one is shorter. Just enough room to get the bolts to go into the holes of the mounting flange. It will work and not many will know that it is a service part . It should have a engineering number on the flange however but not many will spot that ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
I wired brushed the flange, and it''s blank. What a bummer!!!

Is it correct that I need the C7AE-C? OR Is the C7ZE-B?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:24:03 AM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 03:17:21 AM »
I wired brushed the flange, and it''s blank. What a bummer!!!

Is it correct that I need the C7AE-C? OR Is the C7ZE-B?

Thanks
I would have thought C7AE-A
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »
I revisited the picture on the first page and noticed you had a fuel pump with a canister. That would only be used if there was not a fuel filter at the carb. In 67 a filter was used at the carb.Your engine should not have the fuel filter at the pump but it would be a button top style (without a screw on filter can) with CAR bure TER markings.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
Thanks for the info on the fuel pump, I'll get that changed out.

Here's the info from Mustang Tek.

So you believe I need a C7AE-A, I'll keep looking.
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the info on the fuel pump, I'll get that changed out.

I may be mistaken on the engineering number so I will double check my 1968 MPC . I know better what it is suppose to look like then the engineering number committed to memory. I just know that the 67 Mustang 390 fan clutch is commonly substituted for the quickly obsoleted 67 Shelby fan clutch of the same physical dimension which is what I regularly deal with.  Mustangtek is a good resource many times but the info can not be taken as totally correct on every entry. There are gaps in information as there are gaps in mine in dealing with regular Mustang. Posts like this force me to sharpen my skills  ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 04:56:25 PM »

That's the one shown in reply #20 :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
Jeff, the only reason I keep questioning it, is the C7AE-A has the longer shaft. Bob was saying that the original shaft for that year had the shorter shaft. The C7ZE-B had the shorter shaft.

I really appreciate you and bob helping me with this. Sorry about beating this subject into the ground.

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
Think what Bob is saying  (he'll correct me if I misunderstood) that the service replacement that you showed has too long of  a shaft. Not sure that the original C7AE-A made in 67 was the same length

As you reported the one you showed did not have the stamped markings on the mounting hub
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Jeff, the only reason I keep questioning it, is the C7AE-A has the longer shaft. Bob was saying that the original shaft for that year had the shorter shaft. The C7ZE-B had the shorter shaft.

I really appreciate you and bob helping me with this. Sorry about beating this subject into the ground.

Travis

The '75 MPC appears to show C7ZE-B.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
Thanks for saving me from some book work today I was putting off.  The 2.91 is a shorter length so that would seem right if the 2.91 distance is from the pulley side of the hub or flange and the other end measurement is the front face of the clutch. The longer style puts the fan too close to the radiator where it is less efficient and hard to fool with. The longer one will work but is a compromise and is not what was engineered for all of the variables. If you can't find a presentable Ford one Chris Brown has had that style reproduced in excellent detail. As I said before there were a number of different BB Mustang/Shelby applications that used the same physical dimensions
. He is set up to stamp the other more in demand numbers but you may be able to get him to stamp the C7ZE-B for a additional charge .

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
Thanks for saving me from some book work today I was putting off.

No problem, I kind of enjoy it. I don't have access to do "hands-on" research on unrestored vehicles like some of you, so I do what I can to contribute in other ways. My day job interpreting drawings and part numbers for some 200+ customers in the medical device industry helps somewhat. You can't imagine some of the the goofy things I see on drawings...  :o  ::)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 11:12:28 PM »

(Reposted - with picture added)
Since I've got a MPC open :)

Just for comparison the April 68 MPC is posted above

To me its reporting

- That the originals started out the production year marked C7ZE-A then replaced during Feb 67 with ones marked C7ZE-B

- Later (in December fan clutches marked C7ZE-A) were "replaced" in the service parts system (NOS) by fan clutches with part number   C7OZ-8A616-C - No identification markings listed 

All 2.91" in length

So for the OP it looks like either C7ZE-A  or C7ZE-B marked fan clutches could have been original according to that text.
Guess the engineering drawings could be looked at if we pay attention to the date the reference page was printed or changed on

Sorry for any confusion - not the easiest thing to read and understand with the replacing and substitutions going on
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:50:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
Since I've got a MPC open :)

Just for comparison the April 68 MPC shows that the originals started out the production year marked C7ZE-A then replaced during Dec 67 with ones marked C7ZE-C

Part number for the -C  (which was used on the later 67's and as a replacement for the -A)  is listed as  C7OXZ-8A616-B

All 2.91" in length

So for the OP it looks like either C7ZE-A  or C7ZE-C marked fan clutches could have been original according to that text.
Guess the engineering drawings could be looked at if we pay attention to the date the reference page was printed or changed on
C7ZE-A makes the most sense to me given the build of the engine in question and from the suffix is the first in the engineering development. That is the one I am thinking of and misspoke thinking C7AE . The shorter C7ZE-A is the one commonly used to replace the non serviced C7ZX used on the Shelby's which I see commonly .