Author Topic: 67 starter solenoid cable brackets orientation for C code NJ Mustang  (Read 3819 times)

Offline gimpystoy

It's been 3 yrs since I removed these. Are they mounted with loop facing down or up?
Got to remember to take more pic's next time.
TY,
Gimpy

I'm asking about these brackets http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.PUZesMj5AQHVlLwhCuQQjw&w=129&h=105&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:10:27 AM by gimpystoy »
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 starter solenoid cable brackets orientation for C code NJ Mustang
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »
Think he's talking about routing bracket at motor mount. Cable runs above mount
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
Yes Jeff the brackets that attach to motor mount.
Gimpy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
Sorry missed the "brackets" in the title :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
Are they mounted with loop facing down or up?
Loop down, away from the exhaust manifold's heat, and may be oriented with the front one slightly forward, and the rear (if used) oriented to the rear. From the engine down: exhaust heat shield (if used); cable bracket(s); engine mount; lock washer; bolt. The cable insulation sleeve should be inside the sleeve(s). This applies to both "C" and "A" code engines.
Jim
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:18:40 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
Loop down, away from the exhaust manifold's heat, and may be oriented with the front one slightly forward, and the rear (if used) oriented to the rear. From the engine down: exhaust heat shield (if used); cable bracket(s); engine mount; lock washer; bolt. The cable insulation sleeve should be inside the sleeve(s). This applies to both "C" and "A" code engines.
Jim

This was my VOTE! Just waiting on another to confirm. Mine's apart too, been apart several times over it's life so this is a good confirmation of sorts for me too!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
This was my VOTE! Just waiting on another to confirm. Mine's apart too, been apart several times over it's life so this is a good confirmation of sorts for me too!
This is what I was looking for. Great help & info, as always From CMF Community.
TY, Gimpy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
Loop down, away from the exhaust manifold's heat, and may be oriented with the front one slightly forward, and the rear (if used) oriented to the rear. ..........

At NJ??  Or are you (both of you ;) going what you've seen at other plants?

Not saying that they were different but IMHO we have to leave the possibility open till we can document or the OP might have to change his down the road

Got to ask.

Looking through pictures but NJ cars are going to be a challenge. BTW a little off thread but the 68 San Jose C codes often came with only one - like many other years - as shown in the engine drop picture of the San Jose line in the library. Of course there are two in the assembly manual prints  ::)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:36:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
Went through my picture again (now that I understand the question :( 

Could not find a clear picture of a small block NJ 67 car so I looked through the (previous and following years to see if I could find a pattern that the workers might be following.

ON the few examples I could make out the details on I found that only the front bolt of the passenger side motor mount had a cable bracket and all were curled downward on the 66 and 68 examples as shown in the picture below. This is a 68 NJ examples only a bracket at the purple arrow and none at the red arrow/bolt

I would choose,  unless something more concrete comes along, to copy this pattern.

Hope this helps in some way
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
At NJ??  Or are you (both of you ;) going what you've seen at other plants?
Sometime in early to mid 1966 that solenoid to starter cable assembly changed from C5ZF-14431-A or B to C6DF-14431-A which was used into 1968. In both instances the cable clamps, insulator bushings and woven sleeve were part of the assembly. The C5 assembly (made in Canada by the way) used two cable clamp, the C6 used one clamp. I replaced my original assembly on my Oct 65 build "K" Fastback as the woven sleeve had disintegrated. It was of the two clamp design. A couple of years earlier, I replaced the same cable on a Feb 66 build GT Fastback. It was the single clamp design. The woven sleeve, or what was left of it, in both cases had been slid inside the insulator, the C5 in both, the C6 in the forward one.  It is almost impossible to install the single clamp to the rear engine mount bolt without the clamp's loop going down. The clamp was shown to be attached on the front engine bolt, and was oriented down. In this instance, plant differences did not occur.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 12:55:04 AM »
There was the Oct 64 change of the cable at least on the K codes (where no "clamps" were used)  but I think we're getting off thread a bit ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 06:26:02 AM »
Yes on every NJ V 8 I've seen bracket points toward apron and flat side of bracket toward engine (SB & BB) On the BB cars the bracket is sandwiched between mount and block plate. Thats a NJ thing I think only as other plants mount under lock nut
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
I had no idea there would be this many variations.
Thanks everyone
Gimpy

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
Yes on every NJ V 8 I've seen bracket points toward apron and flat side of bracket toward engine (SB & BB) On the BB cars the bracket is sandwiched between mount and block plate. Thats a NJ thing I think only as other plants mount under lock nut
Tim,
 You got me confused. The bracket(s) is/are always oriented to the fender apron away from the engine. And what "flat side" are you referring too? The loop that holds the cable is (or should be) holding the cable is down. Big blocks applications were not initially part of the question but the installation should be similar. The "lock nut" refers to what? On a small block, it's a bolt from the engine mount to the engine that's used, and the same bolt on a big block.
Jim