Author Topic: 1967 wiper transmission to cowl mounting question.  (Read 1233 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 wiper transmission to cowl mounting question.
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:21:42 AM »
When I removed the transmission from the vehicle before it went to paint I took the three bolts from each side and noted that the seals were leather. I purchased the rubber replacements, however is there a justified reason to use leather V. rubber?

Offline 67gta289

Re: 1967 wiper transmission to cowl mounting question.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
I'm not sure about the justification piece, although rubber was certainly a very available raw product.  If you think about it, the use of leather over just about any gasket material is a bit strange for the 1960s.

I was wondering about this, and my conclusion is that because the wiper arm passes through the gasket, and because it rotates, rubber would not do well.  There is a parallel in large industrial control valves where things like graphite and rubber are used, and rubber is not.

Based on that line of thought, in addition to wanting to build it like the factory did, I went with the leather.

Some additional information here regarding some sealant, in addition to the leather, that was used: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12724.msg77219#msg77219
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I know different materials were also available, but leather is porous and it concerned me. It would NOT be a fun one to change as an afterthought.  I got the originals off and they are in good shape, just dry. Just trying to logic this one out.

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »
Actually, leather is an excellent gasket material for certain applications,

Pro's-  It's very tolerant of less than perfect seal surfaces, abrasion resistant, and is relatively unaffected by UV light. If it's treated correctly it is long lasting, and it can be impregnated with lubricant easily.

Con's- Dimensional uniformity can vary (It comes from cows...) , both finish and material properties can vary (It comes from cows...), limited availability and thickness limitations ( It comes from cows...)

Leather was almost certainly more expensive than paper or rubber back then, so If Ford thought leather was the best material for the job back then, I'd go with the leather today...

JMHO. John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »
............ I purchased the rubber replacements, however is there a justified reason to use leather V. rubber?

If your restoring the car IMHO that would be justification enough.

If your just redoing the car do what you think is best - just correct those that think the car is completely restored when they comment about how nice the car is when its done. Have done this for decades since few observers really understand the difference and it creates an opportunity to share the differences
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »
Actually, leather is an excellent gasket material for certain applications,

Pro's-  It's very tolerant of less than perfect seal surfaces, abrasion resistant, and is relatively unaffected by UV light. If it's treated correctly it is long lasting, and it can be impregnated with lubricant easily.

Con's- Dimensional uniformity can vary (It comes from cows...) , both finish and material properties can vary (It comes from cows...), limited availability and thickness limitations ( It comes from cows...)

Leather was almost certainly more expensive than paper or rubber back then, so If Ford thought leather was the best material for the job back then, I'd go with the leather today...

JMHO. John
And next are you going to say that Naugahyde comes from the nearly extinct species: Nauga?  *G*
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com